Research Associate, Gas Turbine Blade Repair via Selective Laser Melting
- KHALIFA UNIVERSITY
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 07 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 09 Mar 2023
- Job Type
- Research Related, Research Associate
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Position Code: 8800695
Position Type: Project Based (Fixed Term)
Position Duration: 01/02/2023 to 31/12/202
Position Title: Research Associate/ Research Engineer
Project Title: Gas turbine blade repair via selective laser melting
Project Supervisor: Dr. Andreas Schiffer, Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering, firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Department: Mechanical Engineering
Relevant Research Center: Advanced Research and Innovation Center (ARIC)
Technical Keywords: Additive manufacturing, 3D printing, Aerospace, High temperature alloys
About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories “verticals” and “horizontals” which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
KU is seeking a highly motivated Research Associate/ Research Engineer to work on an additive manufacturing (AM)-based repair technology for gas turbine blades used in the Aerospace industry.
Specifically, the project aims to develop and experimental setup for restoration of multiple turbine blades in a single process via selective laser melting. Several test prints will be executed to study the effect of the SLM process parameters on the strength and microstructural features of the restored parts.
The researcher will have access to state-of-the-art research facilities available at KU and ARIC (metal 3D printer, μ-CT scanner, microscopy suite, machine shop, etc.), and will have the opportunity to work alongside other researchers and gradient students in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Support faculty in the design and development of an experimental setup for SLM-based gas turbine blade repair.
- Perform desk- and lab-based studies that address fundamental challenges involved in the project.
- Comfortable in interpreting data obtained from mechanical tests, SEM/optical microscopy, and X-ray micro-computed tomography.
- Formulate, plan and conduct research tasks in a timely manner, and in line with the project objectives and milestones.
- Provide input on monthly reports to be shared with ARIC senior management and the industrial partners involved.
- Assist in training of graduate students in the group.
- Familiar with laboratory work and standard health and safety procedures.
- Assist in the procurement of consumables and lab management.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager.
- Masters from a reputable university in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related discipline
- Strong background in the properties and processing of metals/alloys
- Good skills in 3D modelling using parametric CAD software
- Experience in mechanical testing (tension/compression/bending tests).
- Experience of undertaking assigned research tasks and ability to manage own workload
- Contributing to scientific papers and academic journal articles where possible acting as the lead author
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to function as part of a team working on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines
- Well-developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Masters gained from and/or experience working in a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- Experience in additive manufacturing, particularly metal 3D printing.
- Experience in microstructure analysis of engineering materials (SEM, optical microscopy, micro-CT)
- At least 2 year of increasingly accountable relevant experience as a researcher in academia or in industry
- At least 1 lead author publication in a Q1 journal in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com).
Primary Location: Khalifa University - Abu Dhabi, UAE
Job: Research Associate
Job Type: Full-time