Senior Lecturer in Dance
- UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE
- Melbourne, Australia
- $135,032 – $155,698 p.a. plus 17% super
- 06 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 07 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Art, Performing Arts & Design
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Role type: Full time; Continuing
Faculty: Faculty of Fine Arts and Music
Department/School: Victorian College of the Arts
Salary: Level C – $135,032 – $155,698 p.a. plus 17% super
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung Peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung People. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal Peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music
With an energetic and innovative culture, the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music is the proud home of the Victorian College of the Arts and the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music. Studying with us, working with us, or simply coming for a visit, you will enjoy the creative cultural outputs of our brilliant students and staff, as well as the beautiful purpose-built Southbank campus on which we are situated.
The Faculty is a place for creative people to come together to expand their minds and experiences, through which they become part of a world-wide community that motivates cultural growth. In short, we believe in the power of the artistic mind to effect change and we welcome you to share in that adventure.
About the Role
The Senior Lecturer will contribute to the delivery of dance subjects with a specialist focus on dance science, health and somatics, engage in graduate supervision, and actively pursue research.
- Teaching practical dance subjects at undergraduate and postgraduate levels including dance health, dance science and somatics, bodywork, creative practice, dance technique, and supervising project based learning
- Delivery of seminars and tutorials on dance theory and discourse
- Facilitating student engagement and participation through portfolio-based teaching and learning and contribute to innovations in assessment design and application
- Conduct research and be actively involved in professional activity
- Supervision of Postgraduate and Higher Degree Research
- Course and subject coordination and associated administrative activities
You will be a dance practitioner, educator and researcher with a pedagogical focus informed by current research into dance science and dance health. You will be an outstanding communicator with strong interpersonal and collaborative skills who is engaged nationally and internationally in the dance field.
You will also have the ability to:
- Teach practical dance subjects at all levels and supervise project-based learning
- Deliver seminars and tutorials on dance theory and discourse
- Facilitate student engagement and participation through portfolio-based teaching and learning and contribute to innovations in assessment design and application
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is available for this role.
Applications close: 07 Mar 2023 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time