Head of Delivery
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Camperdown, Australia
- 06 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 19 Feb 2023
- Job Type
- Senior Management & Heads of Department, Heads of department / Chairs of department, Professional Services, Planning, Other Professional Services
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
- Full time, fixed-term opportunity until 31/12/25 for an experienced Head of Delivery to make a significant impact within the Strategy Portfolio
- Provide overall strategic leadership for project and program delivery across the University's strategic and transformational projects
- Offering a competitive remuneration package including 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
We are in a period of exciting development within our Central Program Management Office (Central PMO), striving to achieve an integrated service offering aligned with the university's ambitious 2032 Strategy.
The Strategy outlines the vision for the next decade and is based around what the University wants to be known for in 2032. When people speak about the University of Sydney in 10 years' time, we want it to be about the extraordinary power our world-class research and teaching has to transform people's lives - and for the pride it generates throughout our city, our state and our nation.
The Central PMO will play an important role in defining and supporting the programs and projects that will help deliver the Strategy's key outcomes. As a result, we are looking for a Head of Delivery to build upon an existing delivery practice to establish an internal team to support faculties and business units deliver their 2032 Strategy and other business projects. Working closely with the Head of Portfolio Governance, you will contribute to portfolio prioritisation, and will oversee the implementation of multiple complex, varied and integrated programs, ensuring effective collaboration and alignment of teams to meet the University Executives (UE) objectives.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- establish and lead the of the CPMO delivery team to support and improve the successful delivery University's projects and programs
- provide leadership, direction and advocacy across the University at a senior leadership level, to define and support the implementation of projects and initiatives to deliver the objectives of the business
- work closely with the Project Partners and university project managers to ensure effective management of project fundamentals, such as program financials, timeframes and quality standards
- oversee expenditure across the full suite of projects to ensure alignment with budgets
- build and maintain strategic relationships and communications with senior leadership and program stakeholders
- lead the development and delivery of the CPMO community of practice, influencing business areas (Faculty/PSUs) to align and adopt to the University's approach to project delivery
- contribute to insights and recommendations on program reporting to the Strategy and Transformation Board and University Executive
- adopt and implement a continuous improvement culture, and to identify and establish future capabilities required to support the 2032 Strategy.
- extensive experience in leading and building capability, in relation to strategic and transformation project /program delivery within a large and complex organisation
- proven success in mentoring, coaching and motivating a high-performing team of professional project practitioners
- capability to build internal project expertise, capability and collaboration to develop outcomes and provide services and advice which support optimal organisational performance
- demonstrated experience implementing & managing a continuous improvement framework and plan, including the responding to and taking action on lessons learned
- capability to operate with professionalism and tact at a senior level, with the ability to network, lead and direct project managers and sponsors
- outstanding influencing skills to provide insights and recommendations
- elevated ability to build and manage trusted working relationships, with a range of internal and external stakeholders (consultants, affiliates, etc)
- experience in managing relationships and driving collaboration and consistency with other PMO units across a matrixed organisation.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role-required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a university community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or any documents in alternate formats, please contact the HR Service Centre on +61 2 9351 2000 or Nayomi Siriwardane, Recruitment Operations on +61 2 8627 9740 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 19 February 2023 11:59 PM