Post Doctoral Fellow
- KHALIFA UNIVERSITY
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 06 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 08 Mar 2023
- Job Type
- Research Related, Other Research Related
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Position Code: 8800590
Position Type: Project Based (Fixed Term)
Position Duration: 01-March -2023 to 31-Dec- 2024
Fund: 8474000463 / FSU-2023-010
Position Title: Post-Doctoral Fellow
Project Title: 2D materials for space applications
Project Supervisor: Name, title, email Dr Yarjan Abdul Samad, Assistant Professor
Academic Department: Aerospace Engineering
Relevant Research Center
Technical Keywords: Graphene, 2d materials, space, aerospace
About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories “verticals” and “horizontals” which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
KU is seeking a highly motivated Post-doctoral Fellow to work on to work on the production and functionalization of 2D materials (graphene and related materials) via liquid phase exfoliation techniques suitable for space applications including but not limited to selective sensing, thermal management, propulsion among others.
- The post and role holder of postdoctoral fellow will be responsible for capability building and employing novel and innovative techniques to produce 2D materials via liquid phase exfoliation (LPE) techniques suitable for selective sensing of desired molecules and as well as smart water desalination. The application of 2D materials in space, aerospace and the processing, and functionalization of 2D materials with tunable properties suited to the techniques. The person responsible will work closely with experts in desalination to produce the right 2D materials and will process and functionalize them accordingly. The duties and responsibilities associated with this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assessing and optimizing 2D materials production techniques via LPE techniques suitable for space and aerospace related challenges.
- Laboratory facility and capability building for production, processing, and functionalization of 2D materials
- Development, testing, and evaluation of selective 2D materials-based sensors.
- Printing, coating, and deposition of 2D materials inks and suspensions on various substrates and their characterization and testing.
- Implementation of 2D materials for 4D printing.
- Work with graduate students, researchers and faculty members in reporting and dissemination of results in meetings, conferences, and prestigious journals.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
- PhD from a reputable university in materials science, chemistry, applied physics, aerospace or related discipline.
- Experience writing scientific or review papers;
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- The proven ability to work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines.
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- PhD gained from a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- At least 1-2 years of relevant experience as a Post-doctoral researcher in academia or in industry.
- High impact first-author publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location : Khalifa University - Abu Dhabi, UAE
Job : Post Doctoral Fellow
Schedule : Regular
Shift : Standard
Job Type : Full-time