Postdoctoral Fellow in Evolutionary Biology
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Camperdown, Australia
- $113,184 + 17% superannuation
- 03 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 08 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Postdocs
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
- Full time, fixed term until December 31st 2023. Located at the School of Life and Environmental Sciences (SOLES)
- Opportunity to work on a project funded by the Australian Research Council on multilevel selection and the integrity of mitochondrial DNA
- Base Salary, Level B $113,184 + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
We are looking for an experienced Postdoctoral Fellow in Evolutionary Biology to work on a project funded by the Australian Research Council on multilevel selection and the integrity of mitochondrial DNA. The successful candidate is expected to perform experimental work on the filamentous ascomycete Neuospora crassa in the Laboratory of Genetics at the University of Wageningen, the Netherlands. Data analysis and writing will take place at the University of Sydney.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- maintain cultures of the model organisms
- perform selection experiments and monitor the fate of selfish mitochondrial plasmids
- perform selection experiments and monitor the fate of selfish mitochondrial plasmids and the accumulation of deleterious mutations using molecular techniques.
To learn more about the School of Life and Environmental Sciences (SOLES), click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for an Postdoctoral Fellow in Evolutionary Biology who has:
- excellent knowledge of evolutionary dynamics of mitochondria
- extensive experience with a range of model organism, including non-modular organisms
- excellent laboratory skills
- experience working in a diverse team
- experience working overseas.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Wednesday 08 March 2023 11:59 PM