Lecturer in Education (Language and Literacy)
- DEAKIN UNIVERSITY
- Melbourne, Australia
- 02 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 03 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Education
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Work type: Full-time
Location: Geelong - Waurn Ponds
Categories: Arts, Education
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The School of Education is seeking to recruit academics to join a team of established colleagues working in Literacy and Language Teacher Education, primarily for the Primary School Teacher Education sector.
The Lecturer will be required to teach, undertake research and publish in the discipline.
The appointee will promote the School and maintain links and partnerships with relevant academic, industry and professional communities. The appointee will make an independent contribution to the School’s teaching, research, and program development
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining deep discipline knowledge in Literacy and Language Education which is applied to inform unit design
- Leading teaching teams to develop effective unit curricula and learning resources (including through unit leadership roles)
- Adopting new innovation in curriculum design at the unit level
- Deliver learner-centric, research-informed teaching practices across different levels / modes of delivery
- Integrating industry, clinical and/or research practice to teaching
- Contributing to review of units and courses and implements refinements
- Implementing creative teaching practices to improve student success and engagement
- Providing clear assessment criteria and timely feedback to learners to demonstrate learning outcomes
- Develop effective assessment tasks and rubrics at unit level
- Assisting in applying industry, clinical and/or research practice into student learning experiences and resources
- Providing academic support to students within units and guide students to appropriate support services where appropriate
- Supporting the development of junior colleagues
- Contribute effectively to culture of educational excellence and engages collaboratively with peers
- Completing a Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Learning and Teaching
- Build capability in teaching related to Literacy and Language curriculum, pedagogy and assessment
- Advance knowledge within their specific fields/areas of teaching scholarship and pedagogical research activity
- Demonstrate emerging reputation in teaching scholarship and pedagogical research and assist in integrating new pedagogical research across all aspects of education
Key selection criteria for this role:
- PhD in education or other relevant discipline and/or other relevant qualifications and experience
- Excellent record of scholarly learning and teaching in UG and/or PG programs, including innovative curriculum design
- Emerging reputation in research and scholarship through publications and/or success in obtaining external research funding
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in Literacy and Language Education (including in curriculum, pedagogy and/or assessment relevant to the teaching area) and experience working in these areas in school-based contexts (preferably in primary school settings, but can also be secondary)
- Ability to make a contribution to community engagement for research and teaching
- Capacity to contribute to leadership of teaching, research and/or administration
- Experience supervising Higher Degree by Research Candidates
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues and students
Applications for this position close on Friday, March 3 at 11:55pm.
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
- Given the nature of the teaching requirements across degree programs in a multi-campus institution, some travel between campuses may be required
- Drivers Licence
- Working with Children Check (refer to Recruitment Procedure)
Please submit your updated resume, a short cover letter and responses to the Key Selection Criteria.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Damian Blake (Head of School, Education) on firstname.lastname@example.org
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic, and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.