Senior Research Adviser
- UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA
- Perth (Suburb), Western Australia (AU)
- $92,679 - $102,830 plus 17% superannuation
- 02 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 17 Feb 2023
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
School of Biological Sciences
- Level 7, full-time appointment on a fixed term basis for 12 months
- Base salary range: $92,679 - $102,830 plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
The School of Biological Sciences is a large, multidisciplinary School with over 80 high-calibre staff delivering world-class education and research programs to approximately 600 undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students and is responsible for the supervision of ~100 PhD students. The School is research-intensive with expertise in the disciplines of Computational Biology, Ecology & Conservation, Evolutionary Biology, Neuroscience and Science Communication.
About the opportunity
This position will be responsible in assisting in the supervision of Research Assistants, production of reports including spatial modelling, prepare graphics, and direct the development of interactive RShiny web applications for data collection and presentation.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Relevant tertiary qualification or demonstrated equivalent
- Experience supervising research officers and students
- Experience in the use of stereo drop cameras and stereo baited underwater video for surveying marine benthic habitat and fishes
- Experience annotating and directing annotation of stereo-video footage and identifying fish species using EventMeasure software
- Experience exporting data products from EventMeasure software and TransectMeasure
- Experience using R to generate and format data products, undertake ecological modeling and produce publication quality graphics, including experience using FSSgam() function for ecological modelling
- Experience using Git as a version control system to work collaboratively
- Experience using or willingness to learn RShiny framework and databases to develop and produce RShiny interactive web applications
- Experience flying a drone from a moving vessel
- Ability to work independently, supervise others, show initiative, problem solve and work productively as part of a team
Note: A current “C” class driver’s licence, Forklift licence, Remote Pilot licence and PADI Rescue Diver licence is a requirement of this position.
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description.
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria.
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Friday, 17 February 2023
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Professor Tim Langlois at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for child 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at email@example.com with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.