Apprentice Junior Software Developer
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON
- Southampton, United Kingdom
- 01 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 10 Feb 2023
- Job Type
- Professional Services, IT Services
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Location: Southampton Science Park, Chilworth
Closing Date: Friday 10 February 2023
We are looking for an Apprentice Junior Software Developer to join our growing Development Team to work on web-based software for the National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR). At the School of HEI we are responsible for the maintenance, modernization, and improvement of several NIHR platforms such as https://nihr.ac.uk as well as data-driven websites, and components behind the scenes.
As an apprentice, you will develop the skills and knowledge to be responsible for:
- Design, maintenance, and retirement of software
- Back-end programming and software administration for products built using Java, PHP, C#, SQL, Solr
- Testing and deployment automation
- Translating business requirements and UX Research findings into technical tasks and research viability
On a daily basis, you will primarily be working with the Development Team, the UX Designer, and the Technical Project Manager. You will also be working with the Product Manager, Product Owner and stakeholders, and our own suppliers.
You are proactive, able to collaborate with colleagues, yet work independently on individual tasks, both technical and non-technical. You are a “no, but...” person who can critically evaluate work requests and if necessary propose alternative solutions to a given problem.
You are expected to demonstrate your skills through relevant (work) experience or with certificates, diplomas, or degrees. You are not required to have experience with all listed responsibilities, and will receive the necessary support to grow your skill set during the job, working with senior colleagues who will mentor and train you.
Our work is driven by the UX Research we periodically perform on these products, as well as business needs from stakeholders within the NIHR.
This role is 95% remote, but we require you to be able to travel to Southampton Science Park in Chilworth, such as for monthly team meetings.
The University of Southampton is an equal opportunity employer and provides perks such as 20 days of Annual Leave, 8 paid public holidays, and up to 6 paid closure days, as well as a full-time work week of 37 hours.
On successful completion of the apprenticeship, pay will be the lowest spine point of Level 3, which is Spine Point 22, £27,929 full-time equivalent.
In year one of the apprenticeship, pay will be 60 per cent of this lowest spine point value, £16,757.40, before increasing to 70 per cent in year two and to 80 per cent in year three.
* NB - Notwithstanding the provisions set out above, all apprentices will receive a salary which equates to at least the applicable National Minimum Wage or National Living Wage rate for their age, where this exceeds those contractual provisions.
In order to apply for this apprenticeship, please complete an application form by clicking here