Postdoctoral Research Associate in Computational Geometry
1 day left
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Sydney, Australia
- $97K - $107K p.a., + 17% superannuation
- 01 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 30 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics, Social Sciences, Education
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Postdocs, Research Related, Research Associate
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
- Full time, fixed term for 2.5 years
- Located at the School of Computer Sciences, Camperdown Campus
- Base Salary $97K - $107K p.a., + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
Established as the first computer science department in Australia, the School of Computer Science (SCS) is research intensive and has a strong tradition of research-led teaching. The School offers undergraduate majors in computer science, cyber security, data science and software development within its flagship Bachelor of Advanced Computing degree and combined degree programs with commerce and science. SCS is one of the six schools in the Faculty of Engineering, which has a strong position within Australia and worldwide. To learn more about the School click here
We are currently seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Associate to conduct research with Professor Joachim Gudmundsson and Dr Andr van Renssen in the Sydney Algorithms and Computing Theory (SACT) group. The aim will be to design effective algorithms and data structures in the area of computational geometry. Pursuing your own research agenda and collaborating with other local researchers (such as the members of the Sydney Algorithms and Computing Theory (SACT) group and UNSW Algorithms group) is possible and encouraged. The successful applicant is expected to spend 80% on research and 20% on teaching.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Computational Geometry who has:
- completed (or near completion) a PhD in the relevant field of algorithms
- a proven track record in the field of algorithms and data structures, ideally with an emphasis on computational geometry
- demonstrated contributions to publications in top tier conferences and journals (e.g., SoCG, SODA, ESA & ICALP )
- research strengths in algorithms and data structures
- experience in conducting research/scholarly activities under limited supervision and as part of a research team
- demonstrated ability to contribute to grants writing and publications and other project outputs
- good communication skills (both written and oral).
To apply for this position, please address the above criteria in a cover letter and attach to your application.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Rebecca Astar or Linden Joseph, Recruitment Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Thursday 30 March 2023 11:59 PM