Research Fellow (Cell Culture and Lipid Nutrition)
- UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE
- Melbourne, Australia
- $77,171 – $104,717 p.a. plus 17% super
- 01 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 16 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry, Other Health & Social Care, Life sciences, Agriculture, Food & Forestry, Biological Sciences
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Role type: Full time; Fixed-term for 3 years
Faculty: Faculty of Science
Department/School: School of Agriculture and Food
Salary: Level A – $77,171 – $104,717 p.a. plus 17% super
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung Peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung People. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal Peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About the Faculty of Science
Science at Melbourne is a global leader across fundamental and impactful scientific research and education. Science begins with curiosity, and we are dedicated to understanding the universe from the level of sub-atomic particles to the solar system. We aim to be leaders who positively impact the community locally and globally, addressing major societal issues from climate change to disease. Our discoveries help build an understanding of the world around us.
Our strength is our breadth of expertise. We are the second largest faculty in the University comprising seven schools: Agriculture, Food, Forest & Ecosystems Sciences, BioSciences, Chemistry, Geography, Earth & Atmospheric Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics, Physics and Veterinary Science.
About the Role
The Research Fellow (Cell Culture and Lipid Nutrition) is responsible for contributing to research at the University of Melbourne’s Faculty of Science, School of Agriculture and Food. Working within the project team, this position will actively assist and participate in research to deliver project objectives and milestones.
Reporting to the project lead, the Research Fellow will contribute to and undertake research relating to lipids and fatty acid nutritional physiology in cell culture models.
This position will be primarily based at the University’s Parkville campus and may be required to attend and work from other sites and campuses from time to time
- Contributing to and publishing academic papers and other scholarly outputs to a high academic standard in accordance with the research expectations of the University of Melbourne
- Delivering against research objectives to meet project milestones and reporting schedule
- Leading by example and ensure the values, standards and expectations for appropriate behaviour in the workplace and the best interests of a leading university are upheld as well as the University’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workplace
- Engaging with relevant professional and industry bodies and stakeholders to foster collaborative partnerships
You will have the ability to prepare research reports and manuscripts for publication and the desire to build an academic research career trajectory. You will work co-operatively and positively in a multi-disciplinary research-based team environment and liaise with people from diverse backgrounds. You will have excellent organisational skills to meet deadlines and bring projects to a timely completion and possess the ability to develop, administer and see through to completion appropriately designed research projects with limited supervision. You will also have well-developed interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
You will also have:
- A relevant postdoctoral degree awarded in lipid physiology, lipid nutrition, lipid biochemistry or a relevant discipline
- Proven experience in cell culture and lipid related biochemical analyses
- Demonstrated ability to undertake research under limited supervision and delivering against research objectives, evidenced by a record of contributions in peer reviewed journals, book chapters, conference papers and presentations
- A demonstrated aptitude for research, with sound publication record in relevant areas, commensurate with experience and opportunities
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Applications close: 16th March 2023 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Position description: 0058510_Research Fellow (Cell Culture and Lipid Nutrition)_PD.pdf