PhD STUDENT - Fondation contre le Cancer - Stichting tegen Kanker Funded project - Liver inflammatio
- UNIVERSITE LIBRE DE BRUXELLES
- Brussels, Belgium
- 01 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Fondation contre le Cancer-Stichting tegen Kanker Funded project
Liver inflammation and cancer in obesity
We offer a shared full-time position at the Signal Transduction & Metabolism Laboratory Universit libre de Bruxelles Lab of Myeloid Cell Biology in Tissue damage and Inflammation VIB-Universiteit Gent.
The Signal Transduction and Metabolism Laboratory (www.stmlaboratory.com) led by Dr Esteban Gurzov and the lab of Myeloid Cell Biology in Tissue Damage and Inflammation led by Prof. Dr Charlotte Scott (www.scottlab.sites.vib.be/en#/) are seeking highly motivated PhD students to explore the pathophysiological mechanisms contributing to the development of obesity and liver dysfunction. The successful applicant will join the HepatoSCRIPT Consortium funded by the Fondation contre le Cancer/Stichting tegen kanker, characterised by an impressive track record in research excellence.
The project will take advantage of human stem cells, hepatic cancer cell models, mouse models, bioinformatics and human liver specimens to determine the molecular mechanisms by which obesity drives the development of hepatocellular carcinoma and explore novel approaches for combating the disease.
HepatoSCRIPT provides an international and world leading environment for creative science. We foster research excellence and pursue discoveries in metabolic diseases, with experts working together in collaborative teams. Come and join us!
- We believe in a strong scientific commitment and reproducible findings to contribute to the way of thinking in metabolic research.
- Our vision is to translate fundamental science to the clinic by a collaborative effort between scientists, physicians and the industry.
- Experience in cell culture, molecular biology/genome editing (e.g. qPCR, CRISPR/Cas9 and RNA-Seq), immunohistochemical and biochemical techniques will be advantageous
- Experience with mouse handling and experimentation and a FELASA licence will be advantageous
- Experience with mouse models of obesity/cancer/liver dysfunction will be advantageous
- Experience with stem cell culture and/or mass spectrometry will be advantageous
- Experience with multi-parameter flow cytometry/confocal microscopy will be advantageous
- Ability to code in R or python would be an advantage
- The candidate should be capable of both work independently and collaboratively in a team
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent skills in spoken and written English
- High motivation, flexibility as well as innovate and creative thinking are a must
Applications should be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Esteban N. Gurzov, PhD
Head, Signal Transduction & Metabolism Laboratory
Universit libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
808 Route de Lennik
Tel: +32 2 555 8908
Charlotte Scott, PhD
VIB Group Leader
Professor - WE14 Faculty of Science
VIB-UGent Center for Inflammation Research
Tel: +32 933 13620
Starting date: June 2023 (earliest).
Deadline for the submission of applications: March 31st 2023