Professor in Architecture
- Suzhou, China
- 01 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Aug 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Architecture
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Professors / Chairs
- Contract Type
- Full Time
School: Design School
Department：Department of Architecture
Position Title: Professor in Architecture
Location: Suzhou Campus
Salary: Salary and benefits packages are competitive and commensurate with rank and experience.
Position ID: 3149
Position Open Date: 1stFeb 2023
Advertisement Closing Date: 31st August 2023
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The Department of Architecture at XJTLU nurtures a climate of open discourse with a firmly established tolerance of views and positions, where risk taking and speculative experiments can flourish.
The Architecture programs offers globally competitive design programmes at both Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels, with a focus on educating architectural designers in both a Chinese and international context. Research areas within the department include but are not limited to cultural innovation, interaction design and product design.
The Department cultivates a learning environment that fosters independent, innovative and responsible designers with a thoughtful and imaginative approach to space making. We recruit students from amongst the top 5% of high school students. Synergy with the University of Liverpool leads the department to also recruit from overseas, ensuring a diverse student body. Our students benefit from the dynamic atmosphere of the department, due to its engagement with the vibrant architecture and construction context of Suzhou and the wider region, as well as its involvement in live projects, competitions, conferences, and other academic institutions and events.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Teach one design studio and taught module a semester including student academic mentoring
- Research through classic academic realm via research projects, innovations and publication or via architectural practice or art in architecture. Publications at a level appropriate for the discipline and designation. Applications to external research funds
- Service to support the administrative side of the department, school and the university or extra curricula activities for students, staff, discipline.
- Complete PG Certification unless already holding one teaching certification or similar
- Participation in departmental activities and administrative life.
- Positions of administrative responsibility at departmental/cluster/school level.
- Typical split of teaching: research: service is 40:40:20.
- PhD in Architecture with a minimum of 10 years of academic experience and excellence in academic achievements
- Or Master degree in Architecture with minimum 15 years practices, including extensive senior executive experience equivalent of design Director and 2 years education experience
- Fluent in English
Members of Academic Staff receive generous subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education, and medical insurance. A relocation allowance is provided. Non-Chinese passport holders may qualify for multi-year income tax “holidays”, depending on nationality and tax residency.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your application on XJTLU career website: https://career15.sapsf.cn/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=3149&company=xjtlu Applications must be submitted that includes 3parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level, contact details forthree References
- Teaching and/or project portfolio (it is also acceptable as an additional attachment to be sent via email to Xinyun.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn)
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email Head of Department, Dr.Davide Lombardi at Davide.Lombardi@xjtlu.edu.cn. Informal enquiries may be addressed to HRBP for Design School, Ms. Xinyun Yangat Xinyun.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.