Data Scientist / Biostatistics Research Associate
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Camperdown, Australia
- $78,143 - $105,305 + 17% superannuation
- 31 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 24 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry, Other Health & Social Care
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
- Full-time, fixed term until Feb 2024 with possibility of extension
- Opportunity for a data scientist or biostatistician wishing to develop and apply skills in system dynamics modelling for policy analysis and mental health system strengthening
- Base salary $78,143 - $105,305 + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
he University of Sydney's Brain and Mind Centre is a centre for discovery, innovation and integrative research strategies, clinical product development and actions that translate research into improved treatment and disease prevention strategies. The centre is made up of 27 research units, staffed by around 200 researchers and 100 students.
The youth mental health and technology team puts young people at the centre of their own care. We partner with health services to develop innovative treatments for those aged 12-25 with emerging mental health disorders. The integration of cutting-edge research with safe and effective clinical care enables us to quickly and effectively translate our research findings into clinical services, facilitating continuous improvements to mental health services for the benefit of young people in Australia.
We are looking for a Data Scientist or Biostatistics Research Associate to join our Systems Modelling, Simulation & Data Science Team and contribute to a research project of national significance for youth mental health.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Train in and undertake system dynamics modelling to evaluate strategic policy and planning initiatives to improve youth mental health across diverse contexts
- engage in participatory approaches to model building, in partnership with key healthcare decision makers and consumers
- work within a team of systems modellers, senior academics, data scientists and clinicians to deliver high quality research outputs
- hold a Masters or PhD in Public Health, Systems Science, Biostatistics or Data Science
- experience in undertaking system dynamics modelling or a researcher with strong data analytic skills and who is interested in training in the application of system dynamics modelling
- a strong applied research and service orientation with a proven ability to build successful working relationships with a variety of people, both internal and external stakeholders
- proven high level analytical skills and a methodical approach to data management, and analysis
- strong interpersonal and communication skills
Desirable but not essential:
- experience with Stella Architect software
- knowledge and /or experience in population health epidemiology
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
As this position is located on an NSW Health site, it is a regulatory requirement to complete compulsory employment checks prior to starting in this position. For more information and instructions, please visit:NSW Health employment requirements
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Andria Bingham Recruitment Operations, by email to email@example.com
© The University of Sydney
Close: 11:59 pm, 24 February 2023
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.