Assistant Professor of Practice, Interior Design
- NORTHERN ARIZONA UNIVERSITY
- 31 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 02 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Architecture
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Professors / Chairs, Lecturers / Assistant Professors, Professional Services, Other Professional Services
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Assistant Professor of Practice, Interior Design
Location: Extended Campuses - Scottsdale
Job ID: 606983
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
The School of Art is searching for a full-time, benefit eligible, promotable non-tenure track, Assistant Professor of Practice in Interior Design at the Community Campus in Scottsdale, Arizona.
The School of Art at Northern Arizona University is accepting applications for a full-time, benefit eligible, non-tenure track, Assistant Professor of Practice in Interior Design commencing in Fall 2023. Responsibilities include teaching courses in interior design, specifically technology courses and studios, and service duties to degree program, department, college and university.
- Master's degree in Interior Design or a closely related field with at least 3 years of professional interior/architectural design practice OR a bachelor's degree in Interior Design or related field and 10 years professional interior/architectural design practice.
- Current NCIDQ certified (or licensed architect) or NCIDQ in process.
- The equivalent of one year of full-time experience teaching interior design at the college or university level.
- More than three years' professional interior design/architectural experience in combination with a master's degree.
- More than ten years' professional interior design/architectural or related practice
- More than the equivalent of one year of full-time experience teaching interior design at the college or university level
- Effective communication skills as demonstrated in the application materials.
- Background in Interior Design with ability to teach a range of areas and levels of the curriculum.
- Teaching experience in AutoCAD, Revit, Adobe Suite, SketchUp, and other related design software.
- Experience with CIDA requirements and accreditation process.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations on campus and in the community.
- Demonstrated experience with online course instruction.
- Membership in an interior design professional organization such as IDEC, ASID, IIDA, NEWH, NKBA.
- Additional accreditations and certifications such as LEED, WELL.
Northern Arizona University has a student population of 29,569, including approximately 21,000 on its main campus in Flagstaff and the remainder at more than 20 locations statewide and online.
Committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment, NAU has earned a solid reputation as a university with all the features of a large institution but with a personal touch. NAU carefully balances teaching, scholarship and service with a faculty and staff dedicated to each student's success. All faculty members are expected to promote student learning and help students achieve academic outcomes. For information about diversity, access and equity at NAU, see the Center for University Access and Inclusion webpage.
While our emphasis is undergraduate education, we offer a wide range of graduate programs and research that extend to such national concerns as forest health and bioterrorism. Our institution has carefully integrated on-campus education with distance learning, forming seamless avenues for students to earn degrees.
Flagstaff has a population of about 70,000, rich in cultural diversity. Located at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks, Flagstaff is 140 miles north of Phoenix at the intersection of Interstate 17 and Interstate 40.
With its elevation of 7,000 feet and four-season climate, Flagstaff is ideal for year-round outdoor activities. Nearby attractions include the Grand Canyon, Lowell Observatory, Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, Monument Valley, Sunset Crater, Meteor Crater, and Arizona Snowbowl.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Commensurate with experience.
This is a Faculty (FAC) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) or the Optional Retirement Program (ORP); sick leave accruals and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at the NAU HR benefits page. Faculty are hired on a contract basis, renewable according to terms of the Conditions of Faculty Service. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). Employees will have 31 days from date of hire to enroll in benefits, and their benefits will then be effective the first day of the pay period following their completed enrollment. If a new employee chooses the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) retirement option, participation in the ASRS Plan (and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it) will begin on the first of the pay period following 183 days of employment. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP; an alternative to the ASRS plan) will begin to participate on the first day of employment. The long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay period following 90 days of employment. More information about NAU benefits is available at the NAU HR benefits page.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
This vacancy will be open until filled or closed. Review of applications will begin on March 2, 2023.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button at the end of the job description if viewing this position through the NAU HR website. Otherwise, to view the original post and to apply, proceed to nau.jobs, follow the 'Current Openings' links, locate vacancy 606983, and then "Apply" at the bottom of the page.
Application must include:
- letter of interest detailing experience, education and interest;
- up to 12 images of professional work;
- sample syllabus;
- up to 12 examples of student work;
- statement of interior design philosophy; statement of teaching philosophy; statement of diversity, inclusion and equity;
- transcript(s) of highest degree(s) earned (unofficial);
- list of three references and their contact information.
If you are unable upload the images of professional work or examples of student work you may mail images to:
Asst. Professor of Practice in Interior Design SCC Search Committee
Northern Arizona University School of Art
Madeline Reagan, Academic Program Coordinator, Int.
PO Box 6020
Flagstaff, AZ 86011
If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the HR website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=2&JobOpeningId=606983&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency