Postdoctoral Research Associate in Biological Chemistry/Chemical Biology
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Sydney, Australia
- $100K - $110K + 17% superannuation
- 30 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 02 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Chemistry
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Postdocs, Research Related, Research Associate
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
- Full time, 2 years fixed term with potential to extend. Located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Chemistry
- An exciting opportunity to learn and use a number of complementary biological and chemical techniques to characterize a novel enzyme system with various health and disease implications.
- Base Salary level A $100K - $110K + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The School of Chemistry is currently seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Biological Chemistry/Chemical Biology to study a novel enzymatic oxygen sensing system and its role low oxygen diseases.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- contribute to an interdisciplinary research program investigating the biochemical properties of a novel enzymatic oxygen sensing system and its role in fundamental biological processes and low oxygen diseases (DOI: 10.1126/science.aaw0112)
- supervise undergraduate and postgraduate research students working in the area of biological chemistry
- publish research papers and present findings at relevant conferences.
The School of Chemistry at the University of Sydney is a leading Chemistry department in the country, with outstanding staff and students undertaking world-leading teaching and research. Our more than 30 academic staff, 100 research staff, and 100 research students conduct research across the full spectrum of pure and applied chemistry. Our research excellence is recognised by numerous prizes and awards to individual staff members and the award of over $7 million in research funding each year. With the support of over 30 professional, technical and administrative staff, the School of Chemistry administers and delivers undergraduate teaching for about 2500 students. We are committed to creating a diverse workplace by improving equity, access and opportunity, and we are continuously working to identify and remove biases and barriers in an effort to make our workplace open, supportive and safe for everyone.
To learn more about the School of Chemistry, click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Biological Chemistry/Chemical Biology who has:(or is about to receive) a Ph.D. in biochemistry or closely related discipline
- (or is about to receive) a Ph.D. in biochemistry or closely related discipline
- experience in recombinant protein expression and purification
- experience in (or a desire to learn) mass spectrometry and/or proteomics
- experience in (or a desire to learn) mammalian cell culture
- experience in (or a desire to learn) biophysical and structural techniques, such as SPR and X-ray crystallography
- a demonstrated ability to coordinate research activities, either independently or as part as a team
- an enthusiastic and inquisitive scientific mind.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Thursday 02 March 2023 11:59 PM