Lecturer / Senior Lecturer, Cyber Security
- DEAKIN UNIVERSITY
- Geelong, Australia
- $104,619 to $146,683 + 17% Superannuation
- 29 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 01 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors, Lecturers / Assistant Professors
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Based at our Geelong, Waurn Ponds Campus
- Full-time and continuing
- Level B $104,619 - $123,739 or Level C $127,561 - $146,683 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The Lecturer or Senior Lecturer, Cyber Security will be responsible for undertaking research, teaching and publishing in the area of Cyber Security. The role will promote the discipline, School and maintain links and partnerships with relevant academic, industry and professional communities.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Leading teaching teams to develop effective unit curricula and learning resources (including through unit leadership roles)
- Adopting new innovation in curriculum design at the unit level
- Delivering learner-centric, research-informed teaching practices across different levels / modes of delivery
- Integrating industry, clinical and/or research practice to teaching
- Contributing to the review of units and courses and implementing refinements
- Integrating and developing new technologies for teaching Cyber Security to support active learning styles
- Providing hands on coaching for student teams competing in Cyber Security competitions such as capture the flags, forensics tournaments, and cyber war-games
- Providing clear assessment criteria and timely feedback to learners to demonstrate learning outcomes
- Initiating, designing and conducting and may lead productive, high-quality research, scholarship and creative activities generating high impact outputs in the area of Cyber Security and applications
- Engaging collaboratively to develop novel and high-quality research or creative activities
- Widely communicating outputs to discipline(s) and the community
- Support seeking funding for research and creative activities
- Initiating, designing, conducting and may lead intra- and inter-disciplinary research collaborations, to enable major breakthroughs in knowledge and understanding and solutions to complex problems
- Supporting the attraction of external funding for commercialization and translation activities
- Supervising honours and/or HDR students with timely completions and productive, high quality outcomes
Key selection criteria for this role:
- PhD in a relevant discipline and/or other relevant qualifications and experience in the relevant discipline area
- Excellent record of scholarly learning and teaching in UG and/or PG programs, including innovative curriculum design and research supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues
- Ability to make a contribution to community engagement for research and teaching *Level B
- Emerging reputation in research and scholarship through publications and/or exhibitions and/or success in obtaining external research funding *Level B
- Capacity to contribute to leadership of teaching, research and/or administration *Level B
- Nationally recognised research reputation underpinned by publications in quality journals and/or exhibitions and/or success in obtaining external research grants *Level C
- Positive engagement with research, community, industry and government to enhance the national standing of the discipline *Level C
- Demonstrated capacity and passion for leadership of teaching, research and/or administration *Level C
Applications for this position close on 1 March.
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
- Infrequent travel will be required (e.g., interstate or overseas travel may be required or regular travel within Victoria, including between campuses)
- Drivers Licence
- Working with Children Check
Please submit your updated resume, a short cover letter and responses to the Key Selection Criteria.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Richard Dazeley, Interim Head of School, via email@example.com
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic, and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.