Bioinformatician/ Postdoctoral Researcher for Translational Immunology Research Program
- UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI
- Helsinki, Finland
- 30 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 28 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science, Life sciences, Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics, Physics & Astronomy
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Postdocs
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
The Hematology Research Unit Helsinki (HRUH) & HaikaLab Immuno-oncology group at University of Helsinki, Faculty of Medicine are searching for a skilled bioinformatician/post-doctoral researcher in data science
The Hematology Research Unit Helsinki (HRUH), led by Professor Satu Mustjoki, is a translational research group focusing on tumor immunology, autoimmunity, and personalized medicine in blood cancers. HaikaLab Immuno-oncology group led by Dr. Heidi Haikala is studying immuno-oncology responses and therapy resistance in lung cancer. Both research groups are part of Translational Immunology Research Program (TRIMM) and the iCAN Digital Cancer Precision Medicine Flagship (www.ican.fi). In our ongoing projects we aim to discover more effective immunotherapies, and individual resistance and sensitivity mechanisms using unbiased functional screens at the single cell level (e.g. CRISPR-Cas9 screens, high-throughput drug sensitivity assays) and utilizing primary patient immune and cancer cells in the dynamic co-culture models.
Research group webpages: www.helsinki.fi/hematology, www.haikalab.com
- Highly motivated, curiosity-driven, and experienced applicant with a PhD / MSc in bioinformatics or other related or relevant discipline
- Fluency with Python, Perl, R or equivalent
- Experience in biostatistics and applying machine-learning methods
- Understanding on and/or demonstrated ability to process genomics data and especially scRNA-seq data is desired
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, a strong publication record and knowledge in immunology is an advantage
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a multidisciplinary research team
WHAT WE OFFER
We offer the opportunity to work in international research environment, with illustrious collaborations and strong link to the clinic. With a state-of-the-art laboratory, we feature a wide range of research techniques and knowledge, from wet lab to bioinformatics, and cherish well-functioning group dynamics. Apart from research work, we provide training and supervision to undergraduate and graduate students.
The University of Helsinki (UH), founded in 1640, is a vibrant scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. It is one of the leading multidisciplinary research universities and ranks among the top 100 international universities in the world. It is currently investing heavily in life sciences research. UH offers comprehensive services to its employees, including occupational health care and health insurance, sports facilities, and opportunities for professional development.
Read more about the employee benefits at the University of Helsinki and why the University of Helsinki is an excellent career choice: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/about-us/careers
APPLYING FOR THE JOB
The position is available as soon as the selected candidate is available. The project initially allows a two-year fixed-term position. A trial period of 6 months will be applied. Salary will depend upon the applicant's level of skills, knowledge, and abilities and is based on the university salary system and will be around 3400-4000€/month.
Please submit your application via the University of Helsinki Recruitment System by clicking the ‘Apply for the position’ button below. Internal applicants (i.e. current employees of the University of Helsinki) should submit their applications through the SAP HR portal.
Please attach the following documents to your application as a single PDF file:
- Cover letter that details your experience and motivation for applying for the post
- CV (including publications)
- Contact details of at least three referees
The deadline for the applications is 28.02.2023.
For further information please contact Satu Mustjoki: satu.mustjoki (at) helsinki.fi or Heidi Haikala: Heidi.haikala (at) helsinki.fi. If you need support with the recruitment system, please contact recruitment (at) helsinki.fi.