Research Fellow, School of Mathematics & Physics
- QUEENS UNIVERSITY BELFAST
- Belfast, Northern Ireland
- £35,333 - £42,155 per annum
- 30 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 13 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Physics & Astronomy
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term, Permanent
- Full Time
The School of Mathematics & Physics at Queen’s University Belfast, is currently seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate to the post of Research Fellow. The successful candidate will be an active member of the research project/team assisting in the planning and delivery of research in line with the EPSRC Grant on Ultrafast Nanodosimetry. Specifically, this role will focus on investigating the ultrafast interaction of ions in matter and the development novel diagnostic techniques to drive an ambitious new frontier in ultrafast radiation interactions in matter. In addition, this role will contribute to School administration/outreach activity and assist in supervision of Masters and PhD students.
The successful candidate must have, and your application should clearly demonstrate you:
- Have or be about to obtain a relevant PhD;
- Hold a degree in Physics, Theoretical Physics or related field;
- Can demonstrate a high quality publication record (or be about to publish) in peer reviewed journals commensurate with career stage;
- Have research interests that are sustainable, and which complement or enhance research activities of the Centre for Plasma Physics;
- Can demonstrate a minimum of 3 years’ research experience in a relevant field (experimental high power laser driven ion acceleration);
- Can demonstrate the ability to develop and sustain a high quality research programme; and
- Are willing to supervise Masters and PhD students.
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list. For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria, click on the 'Candidate Information' link below.
This is a fixed term post available for 24 months. Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
We offer an excellent employment package that includes:
- Great terms & conditions
- Pension schemes
- Flexible working by enabling you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager through a blend of remote and office working
- Family-friendly initiatives
- Career development opportunities
- Support for health & mental wellbeing
- Generous holiday entitlement of 8.4 weeks a year (made up of 23 days annual leave, 10 closure days and 9 bank holidays)
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Race) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/.
Informal enquiries may be directed to Prof. Brendan Dromey - email@example.com.
Attractive reward package
About the School
Information about grants
Further information for international applicants