Lecturer or Assistant Teaching Professor, English Composition
- NORTHERN ARIZONA UNIVERSITY
- 28 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 27 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Languages, Literature & Linguistics
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Lecturer or Assistant Teaching Professor, English Composition
Job ID: 606804
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
This posting is for hiring up to 3 full-time, in-person, benefit-eligible, non-tenure-eligible Lecturer or Assistant Teaching Professor in English Composition. These positions will begin in the 2023/2024 academic year and are renewable based on performance, departmental needs, and funding. These positions are promotable and based on the Northern Arizona University Flagstaff campus. Contract begins August 2023.
The University Writing Program is looking for a dedicated educator to teach in our composition program. Duties include teaching twelve credits of first year composition in person (English 105 and/or 205 as enrollment dictates) each semester and supporting the composition program through other assigned responsibilities. Examples of other responsibilities include:
- mentoring graduate teaching assistants as a teaching team leader;
- providing regular input on policy and curriculum changes;
- helping plan, organize, and present at the multi-week pre-fall semester orientation;
- assisting with planning and executing direct and other forms of programmatic assessment;
- preparing professional development workshops;
- conducting classroom observations;
- serving on department committees;
- pursuing pedagogical professional development; and other duties as assigned by the department chair or UWP Director.
- MA in English, Rhetoric and Composition, Writing Studies, or closely related field, conferred by start date.
- Two years of full-time college teaching experience or equivalent.
- College Composition teaching experience.
Assistant Teaching Professor
- Terminal degree in English, Rhetoric and Composition, Writing Studies, or closely related field conferred by start date.
- Two years of full-time college teaching experience or equivalent
- College Composition teaching experience
- Experience in developing and adapting materials and assignments for particular pedagogical purposes
- Two years of full-time college composition teaching experience OR part-time equivalent
- Successful mentoring experience
- Ability to successfully collaborate with colleagues
- Varied presentation and teaching experience
- Experience with curricular assessment and/or program development
- Ability to conceive of and lead professional development seminars
- Experience working and interacting with diverse populations (e.g., BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, international, first generation, people with disabilities, etc.)
Northern Arizona University has a student population of 29,569, including approximately 21,000 on its main campus in Flagstaff and the remainder at more than 20 locations statewide and online.
Committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment, NAU has earned a solid reputation as a university with all the features of a large institution but with a personal touch, with a faculty and staff dedicated to each student's success. All faculty members are expected to promote student learning and help students achieve academic outcomes.
While our emphasis is undergraduate education, we offer a wide range of graduate programs and research. Our institution has carefully integrated on-campus education with distance learning, forming seamless avenues for students to earn degrees.
Flagstaff has a population of about 70,000, rich in cultural diversity. Located at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks, Flagstaff is 140 miles north of Phoenix at intersection of Interstate 17 and Interstate 40.
For information about diversity, access and equity at NAU, see the Center for University Access and Inclusion webpage.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Commensurate with related experience and academic qualifications.
This is a Faculty (FAC) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) or the Optional Retirement Program (ORP); sick leave accruals and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at the NAU HR benefits page. Faculty are hired on a contract basis, renewable according to terms of the Conditions of Faculty Service. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). Employees will have 31 days from date of hire to enroll in benefits, and their benefits will then be effective the first day of the pay period following their completed enrollment. If a new employee chooses the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) retirement option, participation in the ASRS Plan (and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it) will begin on the first of the pay period following 183 days of employment. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP; an alternative to the ASRS plan) will begin to participate on the first day of employment. The long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay period following 90 days of employment. More information about NAU benefits is available at the NAU HR benefits page.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
This vacancy will be open until filled or closed. Review of applications will begin on February 27, 2023.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button at the end of the job description if viewing this position through the NAU HR website. Otherwise, to view the original post and to apply, proceed to nau.jobs, follow the 'Current Openings' links, locate vacancy 606804, and then "Apply" at the bottom of the page.
Application must include the following attachments:
- Letter of interest demonstrating fitness for position;
- Evidence of effective teaching from evaluations, student quotations, etc. (no more than 2 pages total);
- Graduate transcripts. Unofficial acceptable for application; official transcripts will be required from hired candidate(s);
- Current curriculum vitae;
- Current contact information for three references.
If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the HR website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=2&JobOpeningId=606804&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency