Lecturer in Statistics
- UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST OF SCOTLAND
- Paisley, Renfrewshire (GB)
- AC2: £38,592 - £46,047 per annum
- 27 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 16 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics
- Contract Type
- Full Time
School of Computing, Engineering and Physical Sciences
THE POST - Lecturer in Statistics (AC2)
The School of Computing, Engineering and Physical Sciences at the University of the West of Scotland is inviting applications for the position of Lecturer in Statistics. The successful applicant will have a first degree and PhD in a Mathematical discipline, preferably with a strong emphasis on statistics. The post-holder will be based primarily at the Paisley Campus but will engage in University activities at other campuses or overseas.
The School of Computing, Engineering and Physical Sciences is a multidisciplinary school, with a diverse range of programmes delivered at our Paisley, Lanarkshire, Ayr and London campuses with a combined total of around 2500 students. The Mathematics and Statistics group within the School has staff with experience in a range of mathematical disciplines, who contribute to a number of programmes in the School and provide support in statistics to other disciplines across the university.
The role will require effective contributions to teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, to research, and to academic administration. The postholder will be expected to develop an internationally recognised research programme and will be encouraged to develop knowledge transfer partnerships and continuing professional development programmes.
The successful applicant will be:
- A highly motivated individual, and an innovative educator with an international outlook
- Dedicated to delivering the best possible learning experience for all students and will be engaged in the development of online resources to support teaching and assessment.
- Experience in delivering statistics training to students and professionals in other disciplines is also welcomed.
UWS was named Higher Educational Institution of the Year in The Herald Higher Education Awards 2022 and is officially ranked by Times Higher Education in the top 600 universities worldwide (2022 World University Rankings) as well as in the top 150 universities worldwide under 50 years old (2022 Young University Rankings). University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries and businesses.
With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to experience the joy of learning, teaching, research and innovation, and apply their knowledge for the benefit of others.
The School of Computing, Engineering & Physical Sciences offers industry-focussed teaching and research opportunities that deliver solutions to real-world problems. You will join an innovative and supportive team, playing a key role in driving forward our ambition to deliver transformational change, through outputs that have a tangible, early and positive impact on society across the globe. Our students benefit from state-of-the-art facilities, extensive expertise in research and development, and our robust collaborations with multinational companies across the world. Find out more about our School of Computing, Engineering & Physical Sciences.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package which includes:
- 35 days of annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
- 23% employer’s pension contribution, including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
- A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
- Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities across our campuses
- Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Programme Professional, career and research development opportunities.
For informal enquiries about this post please contact the Mathematics Programme Leader, Dr Alan Walker (Alan.Walker@uws.ac.uk), or the Head of Division of Physical Sciences, Professor John Smith, Head of Division (John.F.Smith@uws.ac.uk)
Further information, including details of how to apply are available at https://jobs.uws.ac.uk/
Closing Date: Thursday 16th February 2023
Interview Date: Tuesday 28th February 2023
The University reserves the right to shorten/extend the closing date of any position where a high/low volume of suitable applications are received. Therefore, if you are interested in this role, an early application would be encouraged.
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.