Research Software Engineer (Visualisation Specialist)
- AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY (ANU)
- Canberra, Australia
- $95,324 – $114,700 per annum, plus 17% superannuation
- 26 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 02 Apr 2023
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Classification: ANU Officer 7 - 8 (Information Technology)
Salary package: $95,324 – $114,700 per annum, plus 17% superannuation
Term: Full-time, Continuing (Contingent Funded), until end of 2024, with possibility of extension.
Multiple roles available
- Flexible working arrangements to encourage a healthy work/life balance, including consideration of part-time roles.
- Exceptional workplace culture with a supportive, diverse and inclusive team.
- Great work location with world-class staff amenities including gyms, swimming pool, childcare centres etc.
- Excellent remuneration and conditions, including 17% superannuation contributions, annual leave loading and a range of benefits
ACCESS – The Australian Community Climate and Earth System Simulator – is a collaborative venture between Government and the Australian research community to support development, maintenance and access to climate and weather models and data.
Hosted at ANU, ACCESS-NRI (ACCESS National Research Infrastructure) is established as a multi-party collaborative venture responding to the current and future needs of Australia’s scientific, Government and stakeholder community.
At the heart of ACCESS is a community of Research Software Engineers with a range of skills including high performance computing, climate and Earth system model development, advanced visualisation, model optimisation, code repository management, machine learning, model evaluation and data science.
ACCESS-NRI provides a supportive and enriching workplace for its staff through its strong commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and wellbeing initiatives. Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and other people that will increase the diversity of the ACCESS community are strongly encouraged to apply.
We seek an experienced software developer to take our visualisation capabilities to the next level, so it is available for use by research facilities, stakeholders, and the wider user community. This is an exciting opportunity to actively contribute to creating solutions to the environmental challenges we currently face.
The Research Software Engineer (Visualisation Specialist) will work collaboratively with the climate and Earth system modelling community to implement tools and workflows for the visualisation of ACCESS-NRI models outputs, utilising high-performance computing and big-data approaches for the benefit of the Australian research community. Our visualisation needs are broad and range from simple reporting of metrics using 2D plots to complex 4D simulations. This will require manipulating and transforming large amounts of model output and data. The position is an outstanding opportunity to extend and broaden your career. We encourage candidates with scientific and/or strong programming background.
You will be working in a small team, so it is essential that you are able to work with others, contribute to varied projects as needed, and be able to balance ongoing maintenance and support with scoping and delivery of new projects and other longer-term deliverables. The role has a mixture of internal and external stakeholder engagement, you must be willing and able to occasionally interact with non-technical researchers about project requirements.
If this sounds like you, and you are excited to support innovative research and play an active role in making a difference in the world, then please get in touch to find out more about the position.
Skills and Requirements
Demonstrated experience in working as part of a software development team, attention to detail, flexibility, and ability to prioritise tasks to accomplish both short- and long-term goals.
Ability to self-direct and learn new skills as needed matters more than any specific software package, as does an interest and demonstrated aptitude for picking up new things and running with them.
Core skills needed:
- Programming skill
- Understanding of core visualisation principles.
Personal and technical skills
- Attention to detail
- Developing with reusability and interoperability in mind
- Working independently while creating a highly collaborative environment
- Ability and interest in self-learning and paying attention to the constantly changing development landscape.
Desirable skills and experience that you may use (in no order):
- Database (MongoDB, PostgresSQL or similar)
- Visualisation software (paraview, drishti or similar)
- Scientific background
- FAIR principles for data and software
For further information, please contact Dr Romain Buecher, Team Leader, Model Evaluation and Diagnostics, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
The University actively encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. For more information on employment opportunities at the ANU, visit https://services.anu.edu.au/human-resources/respect-inclusion/aboriginal-torres-strait-islander-employment.
ANU values diversity and inclusion and believes employment opportunities must not be limited by socio-economic background, race, religion or gender. For more information about staff equity at ANU, visit https://services.anu.edu.au/human-resources/respect-inclusion.
In order to apply for this role please make sure that you upload the following documents:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV) which includes the names and contact details of at least two referees (preferably including a current or previous supervisor). If your CV does not include referees you can complete these online when prompted in the application form.
- Other documents, if required.
Applications which do not address the selection criteria may not be considered for the position. Please note: The successful applicant must have rights to live and work in this country.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a background check during the recruitment process. An offer of employment is conditional on satisfactory results.
CLOSING DATE: APRIL 2 2023