Research Associate, Engineer Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 24 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 23 Feb 2023
- Job Type
- Research Related, Research Associate
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The National University of Singapore invites applications for Research Associate (Engineer) for “Novel PEEK-based implant material development for surgical treatment of metastatic spine disease and osteoporosis” in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine.
The Department is actively engaged in cutting edge research that encompasses basic science research, translational research and clinical applications of new technologies. We have a very strong research culture with emphasis on translating our findings from the laboratory bench to the clinical bedside in the form of finding and developing novel and useful therapies. Over the years, we have built a reputation for quality research in the areas of tissue engineering, osteoporosis and fractures, and orthopaedic bioengineering.
Purpose of the post
The Research Associate [RAss(Eng)] will be responsible to, and work closely with, the Principal Investigator and study team members (Hospital doctors, Staff from Department of Mechanical engineering NUS) to ensure the successful completion of the study on time.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Research Associate (Engineer) will liaise with the relevant personnel in the hospital & NUS to ensure the smooth running of the projects, and will be accountable to the Principle Investigator (PI) & the team. The RAss(Eng) will be able to:
- Oversee the general management of the projects with the Department of Orthopaedics & Department of Mechanical Engineering and;
- Provide administrative and secretarial support to the projects, such as organizing regular meetings to maintain regular communication with other members of the research team and collaborate with the multiple departments involved. Such meetings may only be possible after office hours or on weekends;
- Undertake the day to day overseeing the progress of the project at various study sites, e.g. Collaborate with team members at the study sites;
- Maintain up to date DSRB Records, apply for new DSRB proposals and manage to write reports at various time points during the study. Help with DSRB submissions/Reports of the ongoing Medical Projects;
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain and oversee accounts, procurement and file maintenance for the projects under the PI.
- Conduct literature searches relevant to the project and for future related projects;
- Assist in writing Grant proposals;
- Maintain trial database, should be able to analyse data through Statistical Procedures (appointed person will be encouraged and supported for learning appropriate courses in Statistics)
- Maintain the highest standard of professional conduct and record keeping in accordance with policies and procedures of the department; Assist in preparing both progress and final reports of the project;
- Assist with any other duties of a similar nature that are delegated by the PI.
The applicant should:
- Have a Master’s Degree a reputable university, preferably in Mechanical/Biomechanical engineering or life sciences; or a Bachelor’s Degree with relevant experience;
- Possess knowledge of Medical Terminology with Proficiency in English language to be able to communicate effectively to write scientific manuscripts and reports;
- Experienced in DSRB application process and Healthcare Research landscape of Singapore is preferable;
- Strong aptitude in research work; Good oral and written communication skills
- Be able to work on flexible hours (after office hours / weekends) on a mutually acceptable schedule with the PI;
- Meticulous, well-organized and able to multi-task;
- Monitor and document experimental results and research findings; and
- Assist with general Record upkeep such as files and Research documents.
Remuneration will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. Informal enquiries are welcome and should be made to Professor Naresh Kumar, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application, indicating current/expected salary, supported by a detailed CV (including personal particulars, academic and employment history, complete list of publications/oral presentations and full contacts of two referees to this job portal.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Department : Orthopaedic Surgery
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 17222