PhD Candidate in Geotechnical Engineering
- Trondheim, Norway
- 24 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 06 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Civil Engineering
- Contract Type
- Full Time
About the job
We have a vacancy for a PhD fellowship at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at NTNU. The topic for the PhD project is “MULTI-LOAD” Influence of multi-directional loading on stiffness and strength degradation under monotonic and cyclic conditions for monopiles.
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
This PhD position is one of 11 PhD positions in the FRONTIERS project founded EU by the MARIE SKŁODOWSKA-CURIE ACTIONS.
The main goal for FRONTIERS is to educate researched at PhD level for offshore wind energy industry and in this way contribute the transition to renewable energy. More information about the project can be found at https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/43417.
The host institution will be NTNU with planned secondment to NGI and University of Nottingham.
The research topic for this PhD will be to investigate the effect of multi directional loading om monopile foundations and will include both experimental, theoretical, and numerical work.
The plan for this PhD project is to develop a 1:20 experimental model of a monopile in a 4m x 4m x 3m test tank filled with dry sand. The pile will be monotonically loaded to failure with multi-directional loading applied to assess the influence on the stiffness and strength properties. The accumulation of deformation under one-way and multi-directional load cycling will also be tested for a range of load eccentricities. The project will additionally focus on load-interaction effects for a range of emerging monopile geometries (decreasing L/D ratios).
The candidade will be supervised by a professor.
Duties of the position
- take part in the training events organized by the FRONTIERS project
- review of resent published research on multidirectional and cyclic loading of piles
- detailed planning and conduction of pile loading tests
- development of numerical models for pile soil interaction
- writing conference and journal papers
Required selection criteria
- you must have a professionally relevant background in civil engineering
- your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level
- you must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- you must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program (https://www.ntnu.edu/phd)
- strong numeracy skill
- good written and oral English language skills
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU (e.g., candidates from Russia, Iran, North Korea, China).
Please note that the candidate holding the announced position is expected to work with critical national objects and infrastructure in Norway. Candidates with the potential of not fulfilling requirement for security clearance, access clearance and authorization as described in the Act Relating to National Security, cannot be considered for the position.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- experience from experimental work
- experience in numerical modelling related to the topic of the study
- master’s degree with specialization in geotechnical engineering
- willing to work independently
Emphasis will be placed on personal and interpersonal qualities.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a PhD candidate (code 1017) you are normally paid from gross NOK 501 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Civil Engineering (www.ntnu.edu/ibm/phd) within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU.
After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
The application must include:
- CV and certificates
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- a copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- project proposal for the planned pile loading test program (four pages maximum)
- name and contact information of three referees
- if you have publications or other relevant research work
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
We will take joint work into account. If it is difficult to identify your efforts in the joint work, you must enclose a short description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is our strength. We want to recruit people with different competencies, educational backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives to contribute to solving our social responsibilities within education and research. We will facilitate for our employees’ needs.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Gudmund Eiksund, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR Consultant Martine Sulen, e-mail: email@example.com.
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 06.02.2023
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
We conduct research and teaching in civil and transportation engineering, technical planning, structural engineering, water and wastewater engineering and hydraulic engineering. Graduates from our programmes become employees – in both the public and private sectors – with a sustainability mindset combined with competitive knowledge and skills. The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 6th February 2023
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering