Research Scientist in the Division of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 23 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 06 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry, Engineering & Technology, Chemical Engineering, Life sciences, Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Physics & Astronomy
- Job Type
- Research Related, Other Research Related
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The Vijay lab in the Engineering Division, New York University Abu Dhabi, seeks to recruit a Research Scientist in Bioprinting, Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering to work on the development, characterization, and testing of biomaterials (polymers and hydrogels) for bioprinting of tissue constructs.
The successful applicant will drive a fascinating project on the advanced bioprinting strategies for the in vitro culture of cells and tissues. The PI’s previous works has proved the advantages of bioprinting over manual culture methods and the versatility of the process to fabricate a biomimetic architecture (i.e.) to mimic the native human tissue both in terms of structure and function. To get further insights, the candidate will be involved in developing several novel biomaterials including polymers and hydrogels with a broad range of mechanical and electrical properties and biological functionalities. Applications for these printed biomaterials will include bone, cartilage, nerve and skin tissue engineering.
Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Biomaterial (polymers) and bioink (hydrogels) development, preparation and characterization
- Material and mechanical characterizations and testing
- 3D Bioprinting of scaffolds and cell-laden hydrogels
- Cell culture studies including viability, live/dead, PCR, immunocytochemistry, immunohistology, stem cell differentiation
- Staining, characterization and microscopy of printed constructs
- Analysis and interpretation of data, deriving meaningful conclusions
- Writing project reports, grant applications, and journal/conference papers
- Managing lab related activities (ordering consumables, planning various experiments in the lab, etc.)
- Supervising and training students in the related field
The candidate will work in a multidisciplinary environment consisting of PhD-level scientists, graduate students and undergraduate students and will interact with several scientists from other disciplines.
Applicants must have a PhD in biological, chemical, or physical sciences, or biomedical/chemical/materials science engineering or related field with a specific focus on biomaterials, 3D printing / Bioprinting, or Tissue Engineering. Must have significant experience and demonstrated skills and technical expertise with development of biomaterials and bioinks, cell culture, stem cells, and biological assays. Knowledge of bioprinting is desirable but not mandatory.
The terms of employment include highly competitive salary, medical insurance, housing allowance, and educational subsidies for children as well as other benefits. Applications will be accepted immediately and candidates will be considered until the position is filled. For consideration, applicants need to submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae with full publication list, transcript of degree, statement of research interests, one or two representative publications, and contact information of three references, all in PDF format. If you have any questions, please email Prof. Vijayavenkataraman Sanjairaj at email@example.com
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.
EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Employer
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.