Assistant Professor in Geodesy and Remote Sensing (Tenure-track)
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO BOULDER
- 21 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 20 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Life sciences, Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Chemistry, Social Sciences, Geography
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Assistant Professor in Geodesy and Remote Sensing (Tenure-track)
Requisition Number: 43968
Location: Boulder Colorado
Employment Type: Faculty
Schedule: Full Time
Posting Close Date:
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES), an interdisciplinary research institute within the University of Colorado Boulder (CU Boulder), invites applications for a tenure-track faculty member at the Assistant Professor level specializing in the areas of geodesy and remote sensing of the Earth. While Assistant Professor is the anticipated hiring rank, the Associate Professor rank may be considered based on experience and qualifications. The position is rostered in CIRES, with tenure and teaching responsibilities in a relevant academic department including, but not limited to, Geological Sciences, Aerospace Engineering Sciences, Physics, or Geography.
We are seeking a multidisciplinary Earth scientist who uses advanced geodetic and remote sensing techniques to study surface and subsurface processes of the Earth. We are looking for someone with research interests in one or more areas related to change detection of the earth's surface and environmental processes. Techniques and data might include terrestrial, airborne, or satellite LiDAR, radar altimetry, GNSS, gravity, optically sensed image coregistration, InSAR, or other methods. We strongly encourage applicants who have expertise in cryospheric processes, natural hazards, tectonics, geomorphology, or hydrology to apply. Potential collaborations in CIRES, on campus, and from the larger Boulder community include the Earth Science and Observation Center (ESOC; cires.colorado.edu/esoc), the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC; nsidc.org), Earth Lab (earthlab.colorado.edu) and the Climate Innovation Collaboratory (CIL; https://earthlab.colorado.edu), Western Water Assessment (wwa.colorado.edu), UNAVCO/EarthScope, UCAR/NCAR, and NOAA.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) is an internationally recognized leader in innovative environmental science and research and is located at the University of Colorado Boulder. At CIRES, more than 800 environmental science professionals work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES has partnered with NOAA since 1967, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, solid Earth sciences, and more. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
This position will maintain an active, externally funded research program, supervise and mentor graduate students, teach at both undergraduate and graduate levels, and contribute professional service both within the university and to their professional research community. The typical effort distribution for tenure-track faculty is 40% teaching, 40% research, and 20% service.
What You Should Know
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine requirement. New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
- As part of CU Boulder’s deep commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion, the campus has implemented a reference check pilot program with respect to final candidates for tenured faculty appointments. The program is intended to allow CU Boulder to collect and review information about a candidate's conduct at their previous institutions, specifically conduct related to sexual misconduct, harassment, and/or discrimination – before making hiring decisions. All final candidates for tenured faculty appointments are required to complete an Authorization to Release Information.
What We Can Offer
- The salary range for this full-time, 9-month position is:
- At the Assistant Professor rank: $90,000.00 - $115,000.00.
- At the Associate Professor rank: $105,000.00 - $125,000.00.
- This position may have the option to take summer salary from grants or other funds. Funds are available for the research space, office space, moving allowance, and startup funds.
- A relocation stipend is available within CIRES and tenure home guidelines.
- In addition to a competitive salary, CU Boulder offers gender-neutral paid parental leave; backup child, adult and elder care; housing down-payment assistance programs; a relocation and dual career assistance program; and teaching, research, and professional development.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be ambitious. Be impactful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Minimum academic requirements include a PhD at the time of appointment in Geological Sciences, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Geography, or a related field with a demonstrated research record in geodesy or remote sensing applied to earth sciences.
- To be hired at the associate professor level the candidate must (a) be at the associate professor level at their current institution OR (b) be at least 8 years post-PhD with experience in teaching and in leading a research program such that their experience would warrant consideration at a major university at the level of associate professor.
Applications must be made online and must include the following in PDF format:
- Cover letter should include information regarding your research specialization and teaching interests.
- Curriculum Vitae including information regarding your research specialization and teaching interests.
- The list of three professional references must include all contact information from whom the hiring unit will request official written letters of recommendation at the appropriate time of the search.
- Research Statement: Description of the proposed research vision and program (up to four pages)
- Teaching Statement: Proposed teaching program and vision and possible academic department(s) (up to two pages)
- Statement of Diversity and Inclusion Goals: A statement describing your experiences, perspective on, and/or future plans for improving diversity, equity, inclusion and/or accessibility in or beyond your academic communities (up to two pages). Initiatives along these lines at CU can be read about here: CU Boulder DEI (university-level), Pursuing Justice, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at CIRES (CIRES level). Additional statement guidance is available here.
- Publications: Two of your most relevant papers/publications (publications should be packaged into one PDF to fit in available upload fields in the application)
The position will remain open until filled, though for full consideration, please apply no later than December 11, 2022. Desired starting date for the position is August 2023, but is negotiable.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Search Committee Contact:
For inquiries, please contact Search Committee Chair: Professor Anne Sheehan, at anne.sheehan@Colorado.EDU or email@example.com
To apply, visit https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/Assistant-Professor-in-Geodesy-and-Remote-Sensing-Tenure-track/43968
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency