Post-doctoral Fellow/Senior Research Assistant/Research Assistant I/II
- THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG
- Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong
- 20 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 10 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Education, Geography, Psychology, Sociology
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Work type: Full-time
Department: Faculty of Social Sciences (30000)
Categories: Senior Research Staff & Post-doctoral Fellow, Research Staff
Applications are invited for appointment as Post-doctoral Fellow/Senior Research Assistant/Research Assistant I/II in Social Sciences Research Methods in the Faculty of Social Sciences (Ref.: 519148), to commence as soon as possible until October 31, 2024.
For the appointment as Post-doctoral Fellow, applicants should possess a Ph.D. in the Social Sciences (including Sociology, Education, Geography, Social Work, Psychology) or related disciplines, with strong teaching, leadership, scientific communication (written and oral in English), organizational and team-building skills, interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work as an effective member of a team. Applicants who are about to attain a Ph.D. are welcome to apply.
- Demonstrable evidence of high-quality teaching, including innovative approaches to teaching and assessment; the use of a range of delivery techniques to enthuse and engage students; and experience of effective use of a virtual learning environment to deliver teaching and delivery of student feedback.
- Experience in developing and teaching courses on social science research methods (particularly quantitative methods) to undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Excellent knowledge, use and teaching experience in introductory to intermediate statistical analysis using SPSS, Excel and R.
- An active research profile and developing publications record using advanced social science research methods.
For the appointment as Senior Research Assistant, applicants should possess a Master’s degree with at least one year of work experience; or a Bachelor’s degree with 3 years of work experience. Applicants with less experience will be considered for the appointment as Research Assistant I/II.
The appointee will work with the Methods Hub (https://www.socsc.hku.hk/methods) within the Faculty of Social Sciences to develop and deliver online and face-to-face training in social science research methods. He/She will have ample opportunity to work independently and in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team, other academics, and undergraduate, taught and research postgraduate students. He/She will develop and deliver:
- 4 online modules on Introductory Research Methods for undergraduate students including:
- Module 1: Key concepts in research; philosophy of research; research ethics
- Module 2: Planning research, research design; data collection
- Module 3: Data analysis (qualitative, quantitative and mixed)
- Module 4: Communicating and disseminating research
- 10 face-to-face workshops with related online teaching materials on:
- Survey data analysis in SPSS
- Longitudinal data analysis in SPSS
- Aggregate data analysis in Excel
- Linear and logistic regression in R
- Multilevel analysis in R
- Structural equation modelling and confirmatory factor analysis in R.
The appointee will also support the Faculty of Social Sciences and the Methods Hub in improving the teaching of quantitative methods at all levels and provide support for researchers in cutting-edge quantitative methods to help improve research quality.
A highly competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered, in addition to annual leave and medical benefits.
The University only accepts online application for the above post. Applicants should apply online and upload an up-to-date CV and a cover letter detailing how they meet each of the essential and desirable criteria. Review of applications will commence as soon as possible and continue until February 10, 2023, or until the post is filled, whichever is earlier.