PhD Position in Medicine and Health Science
- Trondheim, Norway
- 20 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 10 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry, Social Sciences, Psychology
- Contract Type
- Full Time
About the job
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
A 3-year, full time (100%) PhD position is open for an outstanding applicant to work on the project: Repurposing drugs for the treatment of Alzheimer´s disease (PROMISE). The aim of the PhD candidate position is to complete the doctoral education and obtain a PhD in Medicine and Health Sciences, awarded by the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, NTNU. The project and relevant PhD thesis represent cutting-edge neuroscience research in the field of Alzheimer´s disease (AD), with a clear translational potential.
The candidate will be member of the Integrative Neuroscience Group, and is expected to be fully integrated within a wider collaborative network and actively engage in relevant outreach and dissemination activities, including presentation of scientific results at national and international meetings and conferences.
Department of Neuromedicine and Movement Science (INB) conducts research and education covering a wide range of areas related to the nervous system, sense organs, the head, and motion control and movement.
Duties of the position
The candidate will investigate the efficacy and mode of action of repurposed drugs targeting hallmark AD pathology in cellular and animal models of the disease. Specifically, the candidate will work with advanced cellular models of AD, in vitro electrophysiology, and also mouse models of AD, combined with AVV tracing, DREADDs, behavioural testing, and EEG. The project is highly interdisciplinary and is embedded in the activities of the Clinical-Academic Group for AD and a wider network of national and international collaborations.l
Required selection criteria
We are looking for an enthusiastic, talented, creative scientist with a strong academic background:
- Master´s degree in neuroscience
- Experience with cellular models/aseptic techniques
- Documented skills in laboratory methods and techniques, including immunostaining, and microscopy
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or higher compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- Current Master's students can apply, but the master's degree must be obtained and documented by 30.05.23
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Cell reprogramming skills
- Experience working with animal models, supported by Felasa C certification
- Background in computational neuroscience
Documented experience with electrophysiology and relevant data analysis will be a strong advantage for this position.
- Genuine interest in research with a high level of curiosity and willingness to learn
- Integrity, honesty, and a positive attitude
- Proven ability to work independently and also as part of a scientific team
- Documented ability to work with interdisciplinary teams
- Problem solving skills
Emphasis will be placed on personal and interpersonal qualities and strong motivation for the position
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a PhD candidate (code 1017) you are normally paid from gross NOK 501 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Medicine and Health Sciences within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
The application must include:
- Motivation letter
- CV and certificates
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Name and contact information of three referees
- If you have publications or other relevant research work
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
We will take joint work into account. If it is difficult to identify your efforts in the joint work, you must enclose a short description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is our strength. We want to recruit people with different competencies, educational backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives to contribute to solving our social responsibilities within education and research. We will facilitate for our employees’ needs.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Ioanna Sandvig, email email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR Adviser Bente Kristin Årbogen Andersen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation. Applications submitted by email to the above contacts will NOT be considered.
Application deadline: 10th February 2023
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
The Department of Neuroscience and Movement Science (INB) is an ambitious department in strong development. Great diversity in medicine and health disciplines is a hallmark of the department. We give priority to social relevance and quality in both education and research.
Several of our groups of researchers and teaching staff are at the forefront of their fields in Norway and internationally. Our ambition: “Through interdisciplinary collaboration, INB creates forward-looking education and research that lead the way in improving health and function.”
Read more about the Department here: www.ntnu.edu/inb
Deadline 10th February 2023
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service