Teaching Assistant in Biological Sciences
- QATAR UNIVERSITY
- Qatar (QA)
- 19 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 18 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Other Academic
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Job Posting Title: IRC22649
Job Title: Teaching Assistant in Biological Sciences
Organization Name: Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body. It is one of the top Public universities in Doha, Qatar. It is ranked #224 in QS Global World Rankings 2022. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses nine departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate and graduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics, Arabic Language, Humanities, History, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Mass Communication , Psychology, Policy, Planning & Development, Mathematics, Statistics & Physics, Chemistry, Biological & Environmental Sciences, and Material Sciences. The College offers five Master Programs in Arabic Language & literature, Gulf Studies, Applied Statistics, Environmental Science, Materials Science & Technology, and two PhD programs in Biological & Environmental Sciences and Gulf Studies. The College also offers a Program of Arabic for Non-Native Speakers.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding reaching up to $600,000 per project and up to 5 million for exceptional projects. Faculty are also eligible to apply for undergraduate and graduate student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
The Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences at Qatar University offers two undergraduate programs: B.Sc. in Biological Science and B.Sc. in Environmental Science in addition to two Graduate programs and a Certificate program in Environmental Science. The graduate programs offered by the department are the Master of Science in Environmental Science and the Doctor of Philosophy in Biological and Environmental Sciences.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences is seeking a highly motivated individual who has a M.Sc. degree in Biological Sciences. The successful candidate is expected to excel in teaching in the practical sessions of courses related to General Biology, Cellular and Molecular Biology, Genetics, and Animal physiology. Successful candidates will be expected to participate in departmental committees and community services. The start date of the position is for Fall 2023.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teach undergraduate course laboratories in the area of expertise such as Introductory Biology, Cellular and Molecular biology, Genetics, Histology, Animal Physiology, and Animal Cell Culture.
- Contribute to various committees within and outside of the department.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department.
- A Master (M.Sc.) degree in Biological Sciences or related fields.
- A minimum teaching experience of 3 years for M.Sc. degree holders. Teaching experience of the practical parts of General Biology, Cellular and Molecular Biology, Genetics, Animal Physiology, Animal Cell Culture should be at a university level after receiving the highest degree.
- Proficient with educational technologies used in the higher education sector.
- Willingness to work with multidisciplinary teams.
- Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, and Good written and verbal communication skills in Arabic.
- Cover letter.
- Current Curriculum Vitae reflecting the following information:
- Years of experience after highest degree
- Google scholar link
- ORCID number
- Number of publications published in Q1 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q2 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q3 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q4 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Non-indexed Journals
- Number of published books
- Number of published chapter of books
- Number of graduate students supervised and the role
- Statement of teaching, research and service philosophy.
- Copy of the highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed).
- Any additional documentation that is relevant to the job position.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
In case of query, please email Head of Department email@example.com
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with the QU Recruitment Online System, and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete, you may use it to apply for an open position.
Job Category Academic
End Date of Advertisment 18-Mar-2023