Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist (Optimization)
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 19 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 15 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Business & Economics, Economics & Econometrics, Engineering & Technology, Civil Engineering
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Postdocs
- Contract Type
- Full Time
NYUAD is searching for a postdoctoral researcher or research scientist to join the Transportation Infrastructure Management Lab (TIML), led by Samer Madanat. We are searching for a scholar with strong background in optimization. The selected candidate will be able to formulate and solve mathematical models of optimal shoreline transportation networks protection against inundation resulting from sea level rise and extreme events.
Over the past five years, the TIML researchers and students have developed simulation methods to identify near-optimal solutions to the problem of selecting seashore segments to protect for specific locations: the San Francisco Bay Area and the coast of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. These locations have different geographic characteristics which present different causes of inundations, and different considerations in selecting the best protection strategies.
Our objective is to move beyond location-specific solutions. To accomplish this objective, we aim to develop mathematical representations of stylized coastal geographies and urban transportation networks, and formulate optimization problems to solve for optimal combinations of coastal protection. We will do so for a variety of decision maker configurations (centralized vs distributed), and for different measures of effectiveness.
- A PhD in Engineering, Operations Research or Economics
- Expertise in convex optimization, mixed integer linear programming, and dynamic programming
- Excellent Oral and Written Communication Skills
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative team environment, as well as independence and initiative.
Please submit a cover letter, CV including list of previous publications, and the names of three references online through Interfolio
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.