Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Reader in Engineering, Environment & Sustainability
- QUEENS UNIVERSITY BELFAST
- Belfast, Northern Ireland
- £38,592 - £67,540 per annum
- 16 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 13 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics, Physics & Astronomy
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Readers / Senior Research Fellows, Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors, Lecturers / Assistant Professors
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering is seeking to appoint a new academic staff member with demonstrable research expertise in one or more of design for sustainability, sustainable manufacturing, energy systems analysis, decarbonisation, net zero engineering, circular economy, or a closely related field.
Our ideal candidate will undertake world class innovation, mission-led research programmes that complement their research, along with contributing to an excellent student experience through research-led teaching and assessment. They will help shape our future undergraduate/postgraduate curriculums across Mechanical, Aerospace and/or Product Design Engineering programmes, and contribute to interdisciplinary activities across the breadth of the University portfolio within their area of competence.
The new appointee will join a group of enthusiastic, highly research active and collegiate academics who deliver a world-class education to our undergraduate and postgraduate students. Candidates who believe they can make a substantial contribution to further enhance our research portfolio and teaching provision are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate must have, and your application should clearly demonstrate you have:
- Honours Degree or Equivalent in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Applied Mathematics or closely related subject.
- Hold a PhD in a relevant subject.
- Demonstrate minimum 3 years postdoctoral research experience in a relevant research area including, but not limited to, design for sustainability, sustainable manufacturing, energy systems analysis, decarbonisation, net zero engineering, circular economy, or a closely related field.
- Record of high quality, relevant, research publications commensurate with stage of career.
- Demonstrable breadth and depth of specialist knowledge to teach at undergraduate and or/postgraduate levels across the School UG/PGT provision.
- Ability to contribute to School or University administrative tasks and to engage in activities that are of service to the wider discipline.
- Evidence of ability to contribute to community/outreach, public engagement, or impact-related activities.
At Senior Lecturer/Reader level evidence of:
- Independent leadership of research projects and outputs, underpinning an independent sustainable research program, including securing external funding to support undertaking research.
- Enhancing the quality of learning opportunities and in turn the student experience, with relevant experience of development of taught content, teaching and assessment at undergraduate and/or postgraduate level in a higher education setting.
- Successful supervision/mentoring of PhD students and/or research staff.
- Sustained and impactful contribution to leadership activities and mentoring of colleagues.
For appointment to Reader level, candidates will normally be expected to demonstrate evidence of established programmes of excellent research activity in their field of research and international recognition as an expert in their field.
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list. For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria, click on the 'Candidate Information' link below.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
We offer an excellent employment package that includes:
- Great terms & conditions
- Pension schemes
- Flexible working by enabling you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager through a blend of remote and office working
- Family-friendly initiatives
- Career development opportunities
- Support for health & mental wellbeing
- Generous holiday entitlement of 8.4 weeks a year (made up of 23 days annual leave, 10 closure days and 9 bank holidays)
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Race) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/.
Attractive reward package
About the School
About the Belfast Region City Deal
Further information for international applicants
More searches like this
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Academic Posts jobs in Belfast
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Readers / Senior Research Fellows jobs in Belfast
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Belfast
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Belfast