R and D Software Developer (Knowledge Transfer Partnership Associate, Humain)
- UNIVERSITY OF SURREY
- Surrey, United Kingdom
- £36,000 per annum
- 12 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 08 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Salary: £36,000 per annum
Post Type: Full Time
Closing Date: 23.59 hours GMT on Wednesday 08 February 2023
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and forward-thinking postgraduate to apply their knowledge of deep learning to digital human creation within the video game industry. Kick-start your career transferring and embedding knowledge into a world-leading organisation and become an authority in the area.
The University of Surrey and HUMAIN are jointly recruiting a recent postgraduate to lead a 30-month Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) project. The aim of this partnership is to use state-of-the-art machine learning methods, especially deep learning to reduce the cost, time, and effort of creating highly emotive and interactive digital humans.
This KTP can kick-start your career in industry and make you an authority in this area. Apply your academic knowledge and technical expertise in machine learning to reduce a labour-intensive process for the business. Supported by world-leading domain experts, you will have the opportunity to develop your knowledge of the existing cutting-edge technologies in 3D graphics, AI, and computer vision, making yourself a highly competitive candidate in the market.
The Business Partner
HUMAIN create digital humans for world-leading AAA video game developers including multiple Xbox Game Studios, 343 Industries (Halo), Activision (Call of Duty), Obsidian (Outer Worlds), and Zenimax. The company’s diverse team include world-renowned Facial Action Coding System expert, Dr Erika Rosenberg, and visual effects veteran Professor Greg Maguire (Avatar, Harry Potter, Star Wars).
The successful candidate will be based at HUMAIN in Belfast, Northern Ireland. They will work directly with their University and Company supervisors but have the confidence to manage and take full ownership of this KTP project.
- Recent MSc (or PhD) in Computer Science with AI/Machine Learning/Computer Vision/Computer Graphics background
- Experience of technical documentation, reporting and presentations
- High competency level of spoken and written English (i.e. speaking, listening, reading, writing skills)
- Experience in 3D Geometry Processing
- Advanced practical skills in Deep learning
- Previous industrial work experience including placement and/or experience of project management
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate and work with a diverse range of people
- Ability to focus on the strategic issues without getting lost in the detail, and to express technical jargon in layman’s terms
- Enthusiasm for the scientific process, embracing new ideas and concepts whilst bridging the gap between academia and industry, preserving the interests of both
- Demonstrably pragmatic, efficient, creative, highly proactive and motivated to embed new knowledge into the company.
- A clear understanding of both the KTP Programme and this KTP Business Partner.
This position is offered on a 30-month, fixed-term contract. Receive business-based training and career development, including a diverse range of non-technical skills, such as project management and leadership.
Benefits to expect from HUMAIN
- 25 days leave per annum plus 8 NI public holidays
- Potential to secure a permanent job at the end of the KTP
Benefits to expect from the University of Surrey
- Generous pension, cycle-to-work scheme, season ticket loans
- Access to a wide range of courses under the Learning & Development programme; library access
Benefits to expect from the KTP Programme
- Substantial training budget and time ringfenced for personal development; opportunity to gain professional qualifications or study for a higher degree, and an accelerated route to Chartered Engineer/Scientist status
- Access to academic support and the University’s facilities to help deliver the KTP project
Informal enquiries can be made to Dan Bance, email: email@example.com. Please note that applications sent directly to this email address cannot be accepted.
We reserve the right to close this advertisement early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications. So please do not wait to apply.
Please be aware that, as part of the KTP Programme, your application will be viewed by members of the host organisation, the Business Partner. By submitting your application, you are giving consent to share your personal details with the company partner outlined above.
Further details: Job Description
For more information and to apply online, please download the further details and click on the 'apply online' button above.
In return we offer a generous pension, relocation assistance where appropriate , flexible working options including job share and blended home/campus working locations (dependent on work duties), access to world-class leisure facilities on campus, a range of travel schemes and supportive family friendly benefits including an excellent on-site nursery.
Click here to find out more about the benefits we offer to support you.
The University of Surrey is committed to providing an inclusive environment that offers equal opportunities for all. We place great value on diversity and are seeking to increase the diversity within our community. Therefore we particularly encourage applications from under-represented groups, such as people from Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups and people with disabilities.