Research Assistant(Infectious Diseases Translational Research Programme)
- Full Time
The National University of Singapore invites applications for a Research Assistant to study infection and transmission mechanisms of zoonotic viruses in the Infectious Diseases Translational Research Programme (ID TRP) and the Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine.
Appointments will be made on a one-year contract basis with the possibility of extension. The PI supports the Research Assistant for scholarship or job applications in his/her next career.
Purpose of the post
Working in the group of Assistant Professor QU Kun at the ID TRP and the Department of Biochemistry, the Research Assistant will participate in a project aimed at studying the pathogenesis of viral infections at cellular and molecular levels, and developing novel vaccines and therapeutic targets. The Qu lab (https://medicine.nus.edu.sg/bch/faculty/qu-kun/) is funded by the start-up award of the NUS Presidential Young Professorship. We utilise biological techniques to produce virus particles and viral proteins, and visualise them in situ or in vitro using cryo-electron microscopy, cryo-electron tomography and subtomogram averaging.
Main duties and responsibilities
- The Research Assistant will be actively involved in (A) performing wet-lab experiment related to virology and protein chemistry, or (B) electron micrograph acquisition and processing.
- The Research Assistant will obtain one-to-one training with the principal investigator and other senior scientists, and then assist closely with ongoing research projects.
- The Research Assistant will take responsibilities for administrative tasks, handle the purchase of equipment and consumables.
The applicant must or should:
- Behave with scientific integrity and honesty;
- Hold a bachelor’s degree (preferably with honours) in (A) Biology or Biotechnology, (B) Physics or Engineering, or related fields;
- Preferably have prior experience in (A) cell culture or protein purification, (B) microscopy or computer programming;
- Be passionate about science, have an investigative nature and attention to detail;
- Be highly motivated, self-driven, and independent;
- Be able to communicate and work with others in an open manner.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Remuneration will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
For full consideration, please submit the cover letter, CV, academic transcript, names and contact information of 3 references to Dr QU Kun (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ms Mayvien Teo (email@example.com). Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Job requisition ID : 18243