Research Fellow in Energy Studies Institute (Gas Specialist)
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 04 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 03 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Business & Economics, Economics & Econometrics, Engineering & Technology, Chemical Engineering
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Energy Studies Institute (ESI)
The Energy Studies Institute (ESI) is a research institute at the National University of Singapore seeking to advance the understanding of energy policy issues by conducting independent research and analysis. We are looking for researchers to join a multi-disciplinary team carrying out research projects on a range of energy issues that are of concern to Singapore and the region.
The Institute is looking to recruit a gas specialist at the rank of Research Fellow to undertake energy policy research. The appointed staff will operate under the responsibility of the Institute Head and work closely with members across the institute’s divisions and contribute to various research programmes.
Candidates are expected to contribute to the institute’s gas research. This includes looking at current international, regional and country market trends, identifying and monitoring of key market players, the geopolitics of the gas, gas supply chain, liquified natural gas (LNG) trade. The researcher will have to identify, monitor and evaluate how these developments impact the Asian energy security landscape and Singapore’s reliance on natural gas. Relevant research experience on Asia, particularly the ASEAN region would be an advantage.
In addition, the researcher should have a strong interest in energy transition issues, and will be expected to contribute to the institute’s other energy transition-related research topics, such as regional grids, renewable energy, low carbon energy technologies, and the decarbonisation strategies of countries.
This will initially be a two-year position, with the possibility for renewal subject to satisfactory performance and finance.
Commensurate with experience and rank:
- You will be expected to lead in the development of project proposals as Principal Investigator (PI) or Co-Investigator (Co-I). Primarily for submission to local government agencies and/or industry stakeholders.
- To take a lead role in the development of project reports as PI or Co-I, but also to be willing to contribute expertise to projects managed by other research staff within the institute.
- To demonstrate thought leadership by developing and maintain an international reputation as an expert in your field. This will include participating in international conferences, publishing research in well-ranked and peer-reviewed journals, and developing/maintaining a robust citation profile.
- To lead or assist in administrative duties at the institute where required.
- A modest proportion of time will be set aside for self-guided research to support personal development.
- Possess a PhD Degree in the field of economics, engineering, environmental science, international relations, politics, public policy or other related fields.
- Experience in gas research.
- Relevant working and practical experience in industry or government agencies in the area of energy and environment would be highly valuable.
- Relevant research experience on Asia, particularly the ASEAN region would be an advantage.
- The appointed individual must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Track record of publications in reputable journals and policy reports would be an advantage.
To apply for this position, please combine the following documents in 1 PDF and attach it under the CV column when submitting your application:
- Curriculum vitae
- A cover letter, of no more than 800 words, explaining the applicant’s past research experience and aptitude in relation to the research project
Interested candidates, please submit your application with all the required documents. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. Shortlisted applicants may be called for interview, either in person or by zoom, as appropriate. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, if you have not heard from us within 3 months, you should assume that your application has not been successful.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presences are required.
In accordance with Singapore's legal requirements, unvaccinated workers will not be able to work on the NUS premises with effect from 15 January 2022. As such, job applicants will need to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Energy Studies Institute
Department : Research