Postdoctoral Research Associate
- DURHAM UNIVERSITY
- Durham (County) (GB)
- £35,333 per annum
- 03 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 10 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Postdocs, Research Related, Research Associate
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Applications are invited for a two-year postdoctoral position within the Applied Mathematics research group, to begin in April 2023. The position is funded by an STFC grant to investigate the "Influence of density stratification on solar convection". Candidates with a strong track record in fluid dynamics and/or MHD are particularly encouraged to apply. The position will be under the direction of Dr Laura Currie and will primarily involve computational modelling of rotating convection in a density stratified domain. The successful applicant will also be encouraged to interact with other members of the research group and to begin developing independent research ideas.
- To conduct individual and collaborative research projects under the direction of the Principal Investigator.
- To understand and convey material of a specialist or highly technical nature through presentations and discussions within the research group, leading to the presentation of research papers in conferences and publications.
- To present work at seminars, both internally and externally, and at international conferences.
- To publish high quality outputs, including papers for submission to peer reviewed journals and open access electronic archives
- To prepare and deliver presentations on research outputs/activities to audiences which may include: research sponsors, academic and non-academic audiences.
- To assist with the development of research objectives and proposals.
- To work with the Principal Investigator and other colleagues in the research group, as appropriate, to identify areas for research, develop new research methods and extend the research portfolio.
- To deal with problems that may affect the achievement of research objectives and deadlines by discussing with the Principal Investigator and offering creative or innovative solutions.
- To liaise with research colleagues and make internal and external contacts to develop knowledge and understanding to form relationships for future research collaboration.
- To plan and manage own research activity, research resources in collaboration with others and contribute to the planning of research projects.
- To contribute to fostering a collegial and respectful working environment which is inclusive and welcoming and where everyone is treated fairly with dignity and respect.
This post is fixed term for two years, the funding is available from 1 April 2023 for this fixed period only.
The post-holder is employed to work on a research project which will be led by another colleague. Whilst this means that the post-holder will not be carrying out independent research in their own right, the expectation is that they will contribute to the advancement of the project, through the development of their own research ideas/adaptation and development of research protocols.