Research Engineer, Decommissioned Railway Equipment
- SINGAPORE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (SIT)
- 03 Jan 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 30 Jun 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, General Engineering
- Job Type
- Research Related, Other Research Related
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
As a University of Applied Learning, SIT works closely with industry in our research pursuits. Our research staff will have the opportunity to be equipped with applied research skill sets that are relevant to industry demands while working on research projects in SIT.
The primary responsibility of this role is to deliver on an industry innovation research project where the person will be part of the research team to plan, manage, develop, test and investigate the application of virtual reality, augmented reality and mixed realty technology on decommissioned MRT systems to convert it into an integrated training system for applied learning of railway operations, railway maintenance and railway engineering.
Another key responsibility of this role calls for the support to carry out a capability development initiative involving planning, formulation, development and implementation of an integrated maintenance engineering capability road map / proposal at SIT to meet the sustainable infrastructure engineering and maintenance needs of the industries.
- Participate in and manage the research project with Principal Investigator (PI), Co-PI and the research team members to ensure all project deliverables and capability development initiative objectives are met.
Undertake these responsibilities in the project:
- Translation of user requirements into a set of technical specifications.
- Calling of tender/quotations, evaluation and the execution of the associated procurement activities.
- Design, development, systems integration, planning, testing and validation of the VR/AR/MR applications and the integrated training system to be developed.
- Progress update and management reporting on the project.
Undertake these responsibilities in the integrated maintenance engineering capability development initiative involving:
- Planning, formulation, development and implementation of an integrated maintenance engineering capability road map / proposal at SIT.
- Submission of the proposal to the funding agency for funding support.
Other responsibilities include:
- Carry out Risk Assessment, and ensure compliance with Work, Safety and Health Regulations.
- Coordinate procurement and liaison activities.
- Work independently, as well as within a team, to ensure proper operations and maintenance of equipment.
- Have a degree in SIE (Land) or computer engineering.
- Have relevant competence in the MRT systems, virtual reality, augmented reality and mixed reality.
- Knowledge and understanding in human computer interaction, project management and systems integration will be advantageous