Faculty Positions in Communications and Networking
- Suzhou, China
- 20 Dec 2022
- End of advertisement period
- 29 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science, Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Other Academic
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
School: School of Advanced Technology
Department: Department of Communications and Networking
Position: Faculty [Open Rank]
Location: Suzhou, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus inaddressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT SCHOOL OF ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY
The School of Advanced Technology has five departments (intelligent Science, Computing, Mechatronics and Robotics, Electrical and Electronics Engineering and Communications and networking). As a research and practice-led school our faculty and staff are committed to providing our students with a challenging and stimulating environment, as well as unlocking their full potential. Upon graduation, students will become highly sought-after candidates with strong academic knowledge as well as extensive transferable skills in communication, teamwork and project management.
Areas of expertise in the Department of Communications and Networking: Wireless communications, Optical communications, RF engineering, Sensor networks and IoT, Computer system security, Mobile Computing, Cloud Computing, Edge Computing, Social Network Programming and Analysis, Intelligent Transportation.
Informal enquiries about the positions and the Department may be addressed to the Head of the Department Dr. Zhao Wang at Zhao.Wang@xjtlu.edu.cn
Applicants will have extensive teaching experience, have published high quality papers in their area of expertise, have been successful in obtaining research grants, and have substantial experience in the supervision of research students. The successful candidate, in addition to teaching typically two modules/courses per year (i.e. one per semester), will provide leadership in curriculum development and enhancing our research profile at the international level. They are expected to assume administrative responsibilities based on their experience.
- Self-motivated and being able to motivate others;
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills;
- Strong team player;
- Proactive and flexible but with good respect for deadlines;
- Able to work in an environment where diversity and inclusiveness.
- A PhD in EEE or eCS or a closely aligned area and PG Cert HE or equivalent;
- Ideally few years of teaching/research experience at a university or equivalent after completion of PhD degree;
- PhD supervision capacity;
- Strong publications record in an area of expertise;
- Evidence of success in obtaining research grants;
- Fluency in English.
Successful applicants to more senior professorial ranks are expected to also show:
- A significant record of high-quality academic publications,
- A number of external research grants awards,
- Experience in PhD supervision.
- Professional memberships such as BCS, IET, ACM, IEE and HEA;
- Strong knowledge / experience in international higher education.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China: XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website [HERE]. Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, all degree records, publication and founding record, etc.
- Contact Details for Three References
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email Mingwei.Sun@xjtlu.edu.cn.