- QUEENS UNIVERSITY BELFAST
- Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Salary will be commensurate with stage of career, aligned with the University’s Professorial
- 19 Dec 2022
- End of advertisement period
- 06 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry, Other Health & Social Care
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term, Permanent
- Full Time
The School of Medicine, Dentistry & Biomedical Sciences (MDBS) at Queen’s University Belfast, is currently seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate to the post of Director of the Wellcome-Wolfson Institute for Experimental Medicine (WWIEM).
The Director is responsible for the WWIEM research programme and for delivering a comprehensive vision for relevant research areas at Queen’s, including the integration of basic science and translational research programmes. In addition, it is expected that the Director will maximise opportunities to translate research to the clinic through liaison with the Northern Ireland Clinical Trials Network and Belfast Region City Deal (BRCD) via the Institute of Research Excellence for Advanced Clinical Healthcare (iREACH) and the Global Innovation Institute (see www.brcd-innovation.co.uk/projects).
The Director is expected to deliver an overall strategic plan which includes mechanisms for attracting core funding to support the overall research programme and to stimulate commercialisation and industry relationships. The Director will also foster cross-Centre, -School, and -Faculty research collaborations, as well as lead the Centre’s contributions to education and citizenship activities.
In addition to the strategic development of the Centre, the Director is responsible to the Head of School, through the devolved accountability model, for the management of all financial, physical and human resources as well as for corporate governance of the Centre.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified clinical or non-clinical candidates.
Appointment will be to a permanent post as a Professor within the School. Appointment to the role of Director will be for an initial period of 3 years with the possibility of an extension for a further 2 years.
The successful candidate must have, and your application should clearly demonstrate you have:
- Primary degree in Science, Medicine, and/or Dentistry.
- Postgraduate doctoral degree (PhD or MD or equivalent) in a relevant subject.
- Sustained record of publications in high quality, internationally recognised journals.
- Sustained record of playing a leading role in successful bids for competitive, peer-reviewed national or international grants or other awards with significant external peer reviewed research funding as a Principal Investigator over a sustained period.
- Successful, sustained postgraduate student supervision, normally at PhD/MD level.
- Strong research collaborations outside current institution and experience in leading or making significant contribution to interdisciplinary teams.
- Evidence of being a recognised international expert in subject field.
- Experience in teaching at undergraduate and/or postgraduate level, including contributing significant innovation in teaching and assessment.
- Evidence of supervising postgraduate taught students.
- Extensive experience in management and administration of research activity.
- Successful track record in the management of staff and financial, human and physical resources with evidence of successfully developing productive staff and teams.
- Evidence of leading on or contributing to strategy development and of setting and managing performance against corporate targets.
- Administrative, organisational and management skills and proven success in delivering results to demanding deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership, to motivate and develop high performing teams and to forge team spirit and coherence in order to achieve the Centre’s objectives.
Applicants for a Clinical Academic post must also evidence:
- Full GMC/GDC registration plus a Licence to Practise (must have both at time of appointment).
- Membership of the relevant Royal College in the UK or equivalent qualification.
- Entry on the relevant GMC Specialist Register/GDC Specialist List.
- Completion of a specialist training programme in the relevant specialty.
- Significant clinical experience in relevant specialty and evidence of progression appropriate to career stage.
- Record of and commitment to continuing professional development.
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list. For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria, please click on the Candidate Information link below. Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
We offer an excellent employment package that includes:
- Great terms & conditions
- Pension schemes
- Flexible working by enabling you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager through a blend of remote and office working
- Family-friendly initiatives
- Career development opportunities
- Support for health & mental wellbeing
- Generous holiday entitlement of 8.4 weeks a year (made up of 23 days annual leave, 10 closure days and 9 bank holidays)
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Race) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/
Informal enquiries may be directed to Professor David Grieve at email@example.com
Attractive Reward Package
About the School
About the Institute
Further information for international applicants