Postdoctoral Fellow, Melbourne Law School
- UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE
- Melbourne, Australia
- $97,588.00 AUD p.a. plus 17% super
- 14 Dec 2022
- End of advertisement period
- 12 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science, Social Sciences, Communication & Media Studies, Law, Politics & International Studies, Sociology
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships, Postdocs
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Role type: Full time; Fixed-term for 3 years
Faculty: Melbourne Law School
Salary: $97,588.00 AUD p.a. plus 17% super
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung Peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung People. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal Peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About the ARC Centre of Excellent for Automated Decision-Making and Society
The ARC Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making and Society (ADM+S Centre) is a cross-disciplinary, national research centre, which aims to aims to create the knowledge and strategies necessary for responsible, ethical, and inclusive automated decision-making. Funded by the Australian Research Council from 2020 to 2026, ADM+S is hosted at RMIT in Melbourne, Australia, with nodes in eight other Australian universities, including the University of Melbourne.
Melbourne Law School is Australia's first all-graduate law faculty. Melbourne Law School was the first faculty in Australia to teach law, and awarded this country's first law degrees. The Law School is a single department faculty located in a custom designed building in University Square. The Law School has approximately 2,200 graduate students (including JD, Melbourne Law Masters and Research High Degrees).
About the Role
The University of Melbourne node of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making and Society (ADM+S Centre) seeks a Postdoctoral Research Fellow to work on the Humans, Machines, and Decision Responsibility project. The project will involve individual and collaborative work by the Fellow and ADM+S Centre Investigators.
The Machines, Humans, and Decision Responsibility project is distributed across the Institutions and Machines research programs in the ADM+S Centre, and will involve collaborations with researchers Centre-wide.
The Fellowship is for 3 years.
- Conducting high-quality research relevant to the Humans, Machines and Decision Responsibility project and the Fellow’s own research agenda, both independently and collaboratively under the direction of ADM+S Centre investigators.
- Preparing and publishing research outcomes in relevant high-quality refereed journals, reports, books, and/or online publications.
- Responsibility for project administration and organisation including coordination across Investigators, conference, and workshop organisation as directed by the Centre Investigators.
The Fellow will be based at Melbourne Law School and will collaborate actively with the ADM+S Centre’s national and international network of participants. The Fellow will also have access to the ADM+S Centre’s research training and professional development opportunities, international visiting fellowships, and exchanges (travel arrangements permitting), and the ADM+S Centre’s network of industry partners.
Fellows will also have:
- Completed a PhD in Law or another field relevant to the project such as Media Studies, Critical Data Studies, Cultural Studies, Science and Technology Studies, Anthropology, Political Science, Computer Science, or Public Policy / Administration.
- Demonstrated scholarly interest and ability in issues related to the project outlined above.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please apply with your CV and cover letter outlining your experience and research interests. Please note that you are not required to provide responses against the selection criteria in the Position Description.
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Applications close: Sunday 12 February 2023.
Position description: ADM&S PostDoc (MHDR) PD2 (1).pdf