Lecturer in Digital Media Technology (China)
- BIRMINGHAM CITY UNIVERSITY
- Wuhan, Hubei (CN)
- £39,605 to £43,048 per annum
- 14 Dec 2022
- End of advertisement period
- 13 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Lecturer in Digital Media Technology (China) -Two Years Fixed Term
School of Computing and Digital Technology
Salary: £39,605 to £43,048 per annum
Posted On: Wednesday 14 December 2022
Closing Date: Monday 13 February 2023
Interview Date: To be confirmed
We are seeking a keen and enthusiastic Lecturer in Digital Media Technology to be part of our team in the School of Computing and Digital Technology at Birmingham City University (BCU), working alongside colleagues at the Birmingham Institute of Fashion and Creative Arts (BIFCA) in Wuhan China.
The School of Computing and Digital Technology is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to excellence in research, high quality teaching and impactful industrial engagement. Building on continuous success in student growth and in sustained advancement of research activities, the school has embarked on a programme of extensive expansion funded by substantial long-term investments. Our growing teams are teaching, exploring and practising in some of the most exciting areas in the field of computing and the processing of digital media.
We are a practice-based school, making our teaching and research relevant to the evolving market for computer skills by partnering with local and global enterprise in areas such as smart cities, medical applications, the media production industry, and IoT applications. We work in a collaborative and cross disciplinary culture, where interacting freely across the school and with colleagues in other schools is encouraged to gain a unique insight into impactful problem domains.
We are seeking applicants who bring skills in Digital Media Technology with a strong applied technical background. We invite applications to join our team delivering innovative degree courses at our partner institution, the Birmingham Institute of Fashion and Creative Art (BIFCA), in Wuhan China, https://www.bcu.ac.uk/international/bifca.
BIFCA is a highly successful collaboration between Wuhan Textile University (WTU) and Birmingham City University, offering a unique cross-cultural experience and providing an excellent environment for innovative teaching.
Students successfully completing their programmes at BIFCA gain a dual award from both BCU and WTU. With a series of innovative, technologically driven and professionally oriented programmes, BIFCA represents the new era of quality-oriented, collaborative transnational education (TNE), responsive to the needs of all stakeholders. Students are able to choose between studying their whole programme in China or studying part in China and completing their programme at BCU.
Our teaching commitment at BIFCA is expanding, and we are seeking a lecturer to contribute to this continuing development. The position offers a unique opportunity to live and work in a popular part of China on a 2-year fixed term contract.
All teaching will be in English
You must be able to show demonstrable experience / expertise in some of the following areas and have a core experience of technical development. You should also have experience of the preparation of teaching material and planning technical course activities.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide an excellent student experience.
- Act in accord with the University’s strategy, policy and procedures.
- Innovate on best practice for learning, teaching, support and assessment methods.
- Supervise student computing projects at undergraduate level.
- Lead in the design and development of high quality, up-to-date computing modules.
- Set and mark assessments and provide constructive feedback and feedforward.
- Work and live overseas in Wuhan China as part of the BIFCA programme.
- Demonstrate reflective practice as a method for improving your performance.
- Participate in and orchestrate outreach activities to aid in recruitment.
- Contribute to high quality research with potential for publication in reputable journals and international conference proceedings.
- Embody the University’s strategy and values, demonstrating behaviours that align to those values.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- PhD or willing to study for a PhD or equivalence accepted based on cognate area of understanding.
- Excellent working knowledge of Digital Media Technology with a strong technical background in software development and with technical expertise in a related area such as DSP, Image Processing, HCI, 3D modelling, AI etc.
- Strong programming skills in a good selection of languages appropriate to the discipline, such as C/C++/C#/JS and Python.
- Applicants should have demonstrated excellent teaching in higher education or have presented regularly to technical audiences in an industry setting.
- Commitment to pursuance of research.
- Excellent team working and communication skills
- Commitment to pursuance of fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
- Experience working with international students or TNE partners
- A proven record of attracting research funding and partnering across their areas of practice
- Display a thirst for knowledge and academic learning in the context of real-world challenges and a strong desire to see their theoretical work applied in solving impactful problems
The specific requirements for each role are detailed in the relevant job descriptions so applicants are advised to review these carefully before making an application.
If you would like to discuss any aspects of this role, please contact Dr David Gibson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Job Description - Lecturer
BCU Values underpin how we work in achieving the ambitions set out in our Strategy and Priorities, and are the principles that unite the way we work together and for our students.
The University is committed to internationalism and diversity and welcomes applications from all countries, faiths and backgrounds.
It is each individual successful applicants responsibility to ensure that they have permission to work in the UK. Some applicants may require sponsorship from the University and a visa from UKVI to take up the role if successful. More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
Some roles are not capable of sponsorship because they do not meet the UKVI criteria relating to skill and salary level. If you are unsure as to whether you would require sponsorship if successful, or whether the role is capable of sponsorship, please contact us: RTinbox@bcu.ac.uk
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
At Birmingham City University we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer. All staff are expected to understand and enact the University’s commitment to ensuring equality, diversity and inclusion in our employment practice and in all that we do . This commitment is enshrined in our Core Values and is detailed in our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Employment Policy. The University values and celebrates the diversity of our staff and students; we welcome people from the many different backgrounds and life experiences that reflect the students and the citizens we serve. We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and actively encourage unique contributions, in particular from under-represented groups in respect of age, disability, sex, gender or gender identity, ethnicity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or transgender status
Birmingham City University ('BCU') is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here.