Associate Professor in Marine Ecology
- EDINBURGH NAPIER UNIVERSITY
- Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh (GB)
- £53,353 - £61,823 per annum
- 12 Dec 2022
- End of advertisement period
- 29 Jan 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences
- Contract Type
- Full Time
At the School of Applied Sciences putting theory into practice is our guiding ethos, using science to help you make a difference. Our £60Million, purpose-built science and health campus in Sighthill houses a full range of cutting-edge facilities where staff, students and researchers tackle global and local issues affecting health, society and the environment.
As such, we are currently seeking to appoint an Associate Professor in Marine Ecology committed to educational excellence, to develop and lead high-quality research and teaching, complementing our existing strengths.
The successful candidate will bring a creative high-impact research programme, a track record in grant income, a well-developed collaborative network with external partners across academia and industry and conduct internationally competitive research. You will have leadership experience in research and teaching and contribute to the leadership of both the Life Sciences group and the School.
You will develop and deliver teaching within our BSc courses in Marine & Freshwater Biology, Animal & Conservation Biology and Biological Sciences and our CIEEM-accredited MSc Wildlife Biology and Conservation.
You will conduct research aligned with, or complementing, existing strengths in marine & coastal ecology, marine stressors & drivers, conservation & restoration ecology, the science-policy interface and actively contribute to our newly established interdisciplinary Centre for Conservation & Restoration Science. We are particularly interested in candidates with skills in molecular approaches including eDNA, underwater sound, carbon capture and storage or other subject areas which can be applied across a range of ecosystems and link with the research specialism of colleagues within the group.
You will lead and deliver high-quality and innovative teaching in modules including but not limited to Marine Biology, Ecological Field Studies and Practical Skills in Biodiversity and Ecology as well as supporting student project work. You may also be involved in the delivery of teaching to both onsite and distance-learning students, so familiarity with supporting off-site students would be beneficial.
You will provide leadership in teaching and research and expand your collaborative network with external partners across academia, industry and decision-makers.
What we will need from you:
The ideal candidate will have:
- A doctoral level qualification in a relevant discipline
- A track record of high-quality publications and external income, and an established programme of internationally competitive research
- Ability to complement and enhance existing research within the School and discipline
- Extensive experience of development and delivery of module teaching and assessment across different levels, in relevant areas of marine and general ecology, along with support of student project work
- Evidence of commitment to enhancement and innovation in teaching
- Experience of providing leadership in teaching and/or research
- An established national and international collaborative network, with potential for expanding collaboration within the School and external partners
For a full role profile, please click here.
This includes a minimum of 46 days annual leave (includes bank holidays), a generous pension scheme with an Employer contribution of 23%, flexible working and professional development opportunities.
For informal discussions about this position, please contact Professor Rob Briers, Head of Life Sciences (email@example.com)
The University is committed to inclusion, demonstrated through our work in respect of our diversity awards and accreditations and hold Disability Confident, Carer Positive and Stonewall Scotland Diversity Champion status. More details can be found here. We are a flexible Employer.