Assistant Professor in Public Relations (Strategic Communication)
- QATAR UNIVERSITY
- Qatar (QA)
- 12 Dec 2022
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Jan 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Communication & Media Studies
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community consists of diverse and committed faculty members that teach and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students – are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses nine departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature and Linguistics, Arabic Language, Mass Communication, History, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning and Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, and Environmental Sciences. The College also houses Master Programs, which are M.Sc. in Environmental Sciences, M.A. in Gulf Studies, M.A. in Arabic Language and Literature, M.Sc. in Materials Science and Technology, and M.Sc. in Applied Statistics. In addition to a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences and a PhD in Gulf Studies. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, there are two established research centers namely the Center for Sustainable Development and the Gulf Studies Center.
It is worth mentioning that as members of Qatar University, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure internal and external funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 600,000$/ project along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
The Department of Mass Communication at Qatar University, one of very few departments accredited by ACEJMC outside of the USA, offers a Bachelor of Arts program with three areas of specialization: Print/Online Journalism, Strategic Communication, and Broadcast Journalism.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Department of Mass Communication at Qatar University invites applications for Assistant Professor in Strategic Communication (Public relations/ advertising).
The Department expects the successful applicant to be able to:
- Teach PR and advertising classes in Arabic.
- Build curriculum and direction/vision for PR (Strategic communication) in the Arab world
- Supervise strategic communication graduation projects.
- Guide students toward successful internships and jobs in PR/advertising industries
- Conduct scholarly research
- Participate in department/college/university committees
Duties & Responsibilities :
- Teach courses in the area of specialization
- Contribute to various committees at the Department, College, and University levels
- Contribute to the research profile of the College through research and creative endeavors.
- Serve as student advisor.
- Help with curriculum/program development.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
A PhD from a reputable international university is required with relevant professional experience. Candidates for this position should have a proven record of previous high-quality teaching experience as well as professional experience and/or scholarly/creative activities in the area of emphasis. Candidates are expected to be effective teacher-scholars, to teach in both the undergraduate and graduate programs, and to be involved in outreach efforts to the community.
The department seeks a candidate whose teaching style supports a diverse student body. Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate the ability to participate in the department’s interdisciplinary teaching, research, and creative activities in addition to their specific areas of specialization.
Besides teaching the general communication courses, the successful candidate is expected to teach in Arabic all or some of the following courses: Principles of PR, Principles of Advertising, Strategic Communication, Public Relations Writing, Advertising Copy Writing and Layout, Social Marketing, Organizational Communication, Advertising and Digital Marketing, Analysis of Social Media Networks and Audience Formation, Strategic Communication and Crisis Management, Digital Media Relations, Integrated Marketing Communication, Managing Strategic Communication Campaigns, Digital Social Marketing, among Others.
The successful candidate is expected to have professional experience in planning, implementing and managing PR and/or advertising campaigns. Preferably someone with consultancy record in PR and Advertising companies. The successful candidate should be familiar with Adobe CC (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator..), image and video authenticate software, content management systems.
- PhD. in the relevant area of emphasis.
- Strong peer reviewed publication record.
- Teaching experience at university level not less than three years.
- Language of instruction: Arabic
- Familiarity with educational technology.
- Willingness to work with teams.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent written and oral Communication skills (Arabic and English).
- Current Curriculum Vitae reflecting the following information:
- Years of experience after PhD
- H index
- Google scholar link
- ORCID NUMBER
- Number of publications published in Q1 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q2 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q3 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q4 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Non-indexed Journals
- Number of Published Books
- Number of Published Chapter of Books
- Number of Graduate Students supervised/ (supervised research, Advisory Committee member, etc.).
- Grants / Role/ Amount
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, a copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
For queries, please email the Head of Department email@example.com
Job Category Academic
End Date of Advertisment 31-Jan-2023