We are seeking a recent Master or BSc graduate with lab experience to join the team of Dr Manolis Fanto to work on a project funded by the NC3Rs to develop and test new automated technologies for the use of the fruitfly Drosophila melanogaster in epilepsy research.
Previous experience with Drosophila, behavioural techniques or Matlab will be highly instrumental. The successful candidate is expected to be able to perform experiments independently and to help the PI with research tasks.
The post is tenable until Sept 2023 and can be ideally suited for anyone wanting to pursue a PhD and a research career.
This post will be offered on an a fixed-term contract to 30/09/23
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent
• To generate and maintain Drosophila stocks to perform experiments related to the project.
• To perform specific experiments required for the publication of the newly automated platform.
• To analyze data using the Matlab-based software and appropriate statistical tools and software.
• To interface with all lab members and the PI in a constructive and collaborative manner and help with maintenance of shared resources and reagents.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. A BSc or Master’s degree in Biological Sciences/Neuroscience
2. Wet lab experience
3. Good experimental proficiency
4. Good organizational skills
5. Ability to take responsibility
6. Independence in lab
7. Capability to work in a team
8. Advanced computer literacy
1. Experience with Drosophila
2. Experience with behavioral analysis
3. Experience with Matlab
Interviews will be held online and selected candidates might be invited in person for a final confirmation