Lecturer / Associate Professor (Biostatistics), Curtin Medical School
- $125,937-166,536 (ALC/D) plus 17% superannuation
- 4-year fixed contract, full-time role
- Based within the Curtin Medical School
Your new role
We have an exciting opportunity for a senior biostatistician or bioinformatics expert experienced in analysing medical related data to work for Curtin University on a full-time basis.
We are seeking an individual capable of developing their own research linkages, whilst undertaking strategic evaluation of the medical discipline within the Curtin Medical School (CMS). A track record in grant success is required.
The evaluation tasks in the discipline of medicine will enable it to meet ongoing requirements of the Australian Medical Council. This will include producing an annual evaluation plan, undertaking work capable of meeting accreditation standards and being published in teaching research literature.
The Evaluation Lead will also assist CMS students and staff with statistical plans and analysis of wider Curtin Medical School research. They will develop their own research linkages and develop research outcomes individually and in collaborative teams.
In this role you will….
- Lead a small team within the discipline of medicine focussed on discipline of medicine requirements for evaluation;
- Participate in course delivery and medical education unit committees to ensure maximisation of teaching, curriculum and assessment data to facilitate evaluation and translate this into publishable teaching research outcomes;
- Assist in accreditation responsibilities of the discipline of medicine;
- Participate in research in your specialty area and consider supervision of honours or PhD students where relevant to your research;
- Secure research funding for projects through applications for research grants;
- Collaborate with researchers in our other Curtin Medical School disciplines to develop and analyse research projects;
- Provide pastoral care to students when required; and
- Contribute to assessment and examination processes.
- Report directly to the Dean of Curtin Medical School for research and strategic planning but to the discipline lead of medicine on a daily basis for medical discipline evaluation tasks.
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Professor Graeme Maguire, Associate Dean, Curtin Medical School on 08 9266 4881.
Curtin Medical School comprises the disciplines of medicine, medical radiation science, pharmacy, laboratory medicine and biomedical science. It sits within the Faculty of Health Sciences, with two-affiliated research Institutes called CHIRI and ENABLE. The discipline of medicine is one of Australia’s newest medical schools graduating its first cohort of medical practitioners in 2021.
The discipline of medicine headquarters are based out of a dedicated building on the University Bentley campus with tailored clinical teaching and simulation facilities and offers the only undergraduate medical degree in Western Australia. It now enrols 120 new students each year with preferential selection of students with a rural, Indigenous Australian, or disadvantaged background. In addition, the School has ten affiliated metropolitan hospital clinical placement sites, health campuses in Midland (Perth) and Kalgoorlie (Goldfields, WA), is a member of Rural Clinical School WA and has close links with metropolitan and rural primary care and other community-based health care providers. This role will be based within the discipline of medicine school building.
Curtin University’s vibrant Bentley campus also includes a gym, childcare, a medical centre, an art gallery, endless food options including a full-range grocer, beautiful gardens, end-of-trip facilities, good parking and excellent public transport connections.
For more information about our university, please visit www.curtin.edu.au
Please provide a cover letter, your CV and separate document addressing the selection criteria (noted below) to allow us to assess your suitability for this role.
- A PhD in biostatistics or bioinformatics
- A research track record commensurate with academic appointment level
- Good communication skills
- Good teamwork skills
- You will require current work rights in Australia that match the tenure of this role. Only in limited situations will visa sponsorship situations be considered.
- Experience working in a medical school of health-related institute or hospital setting
To view a copy of the generic Academic Role Statement, please copy and paste the following link into your web browser.
Applications close: Sunday 18 December, 9 PM AWST
Please note, shortlisting for this role will not take place until January 2023 due to the University’s limited-service period and planned leave (19 December 2022 – 2 January 2023).
Applicants should note that prior to appointment, you will need to have a current National Police Records check, undergo character, integrity, and reference checks. Please note that this position may be subject to a WA state government vaccination mandate. If requested, you will be required to provide evidence of your vaccination status prior to employment.
If you have any queries in relation to this application process, please contact our careers team on 08 9266 9000 (option 3,1).
Please note we are not accepting applications from recruitment agencies at this time.