Research Fellow, School of Natural and Built Environment
The School of Natural and Built Environment (NBE) in collaboration with the School of, Electronics, Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, at Queen’s University Belfast, is currently seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate to the post of Research Fellow. This is an excellent opportunity for a Postdoctoral Researcher to join us on a 29-month US-Ireland funded project ‘Assembly and robotics Innovation in Steel Building Erection’ (ARISE). They will undertake research into the creation of the simulated environment and introducing a robotic manipulator to create a MR environment to evaluate the machine vision and robotic assembly of the intermeshed connections developed by academic collaborators.
The researcher will work more on the Computer Engineering side with support from Civil Engineering colleagues and a PhD student focus on structural modelling and laboratory testing.
The successful candidate must have, and your application should clearly demonstrate you:
- Hold or are about to obtain PhD in Automation, Machine Learning, Machine Vision or related areas.
- Have at least 3 years recent relevant experience to include:
- Research into approaches and use of virtual reality and scene simulation.
- Experience in the use of robotic manipulator and programming and control system.
- Working effectively as part of a research team in the development and promotion of the research theme.
- A strong publication record commensurate with stage of career.
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list. For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria please click the Candidate Information link below.
This post is fixed term for 29 months. Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
We offer an excellent employment package that includes:
- Great terms & conditions
- Pension schemes
- Flexible working by enabling you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager through a blend of remote and office working
- Family-friendly initiatives
- Career development opportunities
- Support for health & mental wellbeing
- Generous holiday entitlement of 8.4 weeks a year (made up of 23 days annual leave, 10 closure days and 9 bank holidays).
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Race) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/