Lecturer, Centre for English Language Communication
The Centre for English Language Communication (CELC), National University of Singapore (NUS) invites applications for the following full-time non-tenure educator track teaching position.
Position of Lecturer
Applicants for the position of Lecturer must meet the following selection criteria:
- A master’s or doctoral degree in English language, linguistics, applied linguistics, rhetoric and composition, communication studies or a related field
- a master’s or doctoral degree in an academic field (e.g., humanities, social sciences, business, science, applied sciences) with evidence of expertise in teaching academic writing or professional communication skills.
- Approximately 2 or more years (full-time) teaching in higher education.
- Evidence of research, written output (e.g., publications) and relevant industrial experience (e.g., in professional communication) will be viewed upon favourably.
How to apply
If you meet the selection criteria, we invite you to submit a complete application with the following items compiled as a single document:
A cover letter which addresses your suitability for the position of Lecturer.
- A curriculum vitae detailing:
- academic qualifications.
- employment history from the last ten years.
- summary of areas taught, and participation in module design and material development.
- publications and conference presentations (if applicable).
- teaching awards and research grants (if applicable).
- community engagement or service in ELT or education (if applicable).
- current and expected salaries (in USD or Singapore dollars).
- names and contact details of three (preferably academic) referees.
- A teaching statement that includes your teaching philosophy, approaches, and development (maximum 1,500 words).
- A research statement that includes your research interests, accomplishments, and plans (maximum 1,500 words) (if applicable).
- Student and peer evaluations of teaching performance from the last 3 years (if applicable).
- Peer evaluations from the last 3 years (if applicable).
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Candidates who have applied within the last two years need not reapply unless there have been significant developments in their teaching qualifications and experience.
The starting salary will be commensurate with the applicant's qualifications and experience. Successful candidates are expected to commence work in July or December 2022, or possibly later for overseas candidates, depending on the Covid-19 situation.
Established in 1979 and previously called the English Language Proficiency Unit (ELPU), CELC plays a pivotal role in developing English communication and academic competencies among NUS students. With a teaching staff strength of over 45 dedicated full-time educators and a large team of part-time tutors, it offers a range of undergraduate and graduate courses, including those on English proficiency, English for academic purposes, academic writing, critical thinking, and professional communication. The Centre also runs an Ideas and Exposition programme that teaches academic writing through content in a variety of areas (e.g., literature, linguistics, philosophy, sports).
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Ctr for English Language Communication
Department : Ctr for English Language Communication
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 11695