Research Contracts Officer
- DURHAM UNIVERSITY
- Durham (County) (GB)
- £27929 - £34308 per annum
- 05 Dec 2022
- End of advertisement period
- 08 Jan 2023
- Job Type
- Professional Services, Research & Innovation
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Job Title: Research Contracts Officer
Department: Research & Innovation Services
Grade: Grade 6
Salary range: 27,929 - 34,308 per annum
Working arrangements: Full Time, Permanent
The Role and the Department
The post holder will join a small, friendly and supportive team in the recently formed contracting hub which sits within the Research Operations Team. The contracting hub, which works closely with Legal services, provides dedicated support to academics for a wide range of research and research related activity to achieve appropriate and timely conclusion of contracts.
Part of the University strategy is to significantly grow research activity, this is increasing the research contracting requirements and this new role will provide an excellent opportunity for someone who is looking to develop a career in research contracting. Reporting to a Senior Contracts Manager you will be responsible for reviewing, drafting and negotiating contracts for your own portfolio of research contracts including single and multiparty research agreements, studentships, funder awards letters and visitor agreements.
The Research Operations Team is the largest team within the Research and Innovation Services Directorate and provides dedicated and expert support to Academic and Professional Support Services (PSS) colleagues across the lifecycle of a research project, The team comprises pre-award, post award services, contracting and consultancy support.
This role has the following key responsibilities:
With support and guidance from the Senior Contracts Manager,
- Provide advice and guidance to PSS and academic staff in relation to research related contracting matters.
- Review, negotiate and recommend for signature standard contracts provided by external funders or collaborators to achieve appropriate and timely conclusion of contracts, identifying and mitigating risk in line with the University contracting risk framework.
- Identify and select appropriate templates from the university contract template bank as a basis for preparing contracts to send to external partners and collaborators.
- Liaise with academic staff to ensure they fully understand any contractual obligations and risks.
- Work closely with colleagues in the wider team and beyond to ensure appropriate financial terms are included in agreements.
- Initiate redrafting of contract terms and recommend changes to contracts to achieve the best possible contractual outcomes for Durham.
- Assist the Senior Contracts Managers with more complex research contracting matters.
- Use the contracts management system to maintain accurate and up to date contracts records.