PhD Candidate for Risk Management and Production Assurance of Future Energy Infrastructures Under
About the job
A PhD position is available at the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering within the field of material integrity for hydrogen energy application.
Renewable energies with innovative storage formats are becoming extremely important for Europe and the whole world. For example, one new energy value chain is to produce electricity with offshore wind turbines and use the electricity to electrolyte water to generate hydrogen. For such new applications with novel technologies, one challenge is the unstableness full of uncertainties, which can be amplified by the natural hazards and extreme climate events. It is thus important to manage such risks by investigating how those new technical systems can be impacted by natural disasters and assessing how the performance of the whole value chain of energy production will react when some nodes are greatly weakened in a short time. The aim of this PhD project will be to explore resilience/risk management and production assurance issues related to the above technical facilities and develop decision-making support tools for operation/maintenance optimization of the energy infrastructures.
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
Your immediate leader is Professor Yiliu Liu
Duties of the position
- study the state-of-art of wind power and green hydrogen production
- review the impacts of NATECH disasters on energy production and learn lessons in emergency management
- investigate how the existing knowledge in offshore industries can be utilized in the new applications
- develop indicators and algorithms for analysing and evaluating resilience of the wind-driven green hydrogen value chain to NATECH disasters
- conduct case studies in collaboration with potential industrial partners and other researchers
- disseminate research results through diverse channels
Required selection criteria
- you must have a professionally relevant background in industrial and systems engineering, management science, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering or related fields
- your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level
- you must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education
- you must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program
- experience with programming in MATLAB or Python
- good written and oral English language skills
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- good knowledge/experience in reliability and risk analysis and resilience engineering
- good knowledge of complex system analysis, operational research, and optimization
- knowledge of data analysis, including statistics, and machine learning techniques.
- ability and willingness to conduct research in a multidisciplinary setting and team
- motivated, enthusiastic and result oriented
- ability to work in a team-based environment, but also be able to work independently
Emphasis will be placed on personal and interpersonal qualities.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a PhD candidate (code 1017) you are normally paid from gross NOK 501 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Engineering within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
The application must include:
- CV and certificates
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- cover letter justifying your interest and fit for the position
- research plan or project proposal (maximum 2 pages, Times New Roman or similar Font 11, single spacing)
- name and contact information of three referees
- academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
We will take joint work into account. If it is difficult to identify your efforts in the joint work, you must enclose a short description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is our strength. We want to recruit people with different competencies, educational backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives to contribute to solving our social responsibilities within education and research. We will facilitate for our employees’ needs.
NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific positions and has a number of resources to promote equality.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Yiliu Liu, email email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR Consultant Linn-Cecilie Felle Brattheim, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 31.12.2022
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
We educate graduates who can create new products, operate and maintain products, and manage projects. The Department has a variety of bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes. We conduct wide-ranging research in fields such as technology, energy, product quality and development, and productivity. The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 31st December 2022
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Dept. of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering