Associate Lecturer, Clinical Education
- Full time /Part time continuing roles (several) based at Camperdown and/or Westmead campus
- Associate Lecturer role contributing to clinical teaching and learning within the Susan Wakil School of Nursing and Midwifery (Sydney Nursing School)
- Base Salary $79,784 (pro rata for part time) + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
Sydney Nursing School is currently ranked #1 in Australia and #12 globally in the QS World University Rankings by Subject. The School produces graduates who have the critical thinking skills and nursing knowledge to provide the best care for people, wherever they are. We integrate teaching, research and scholarship, together with practice and policy development and engagement with all health professions.
At the School many of our staff work in healthcare services, making a real difference to the healthcare landscape in Australia and internationally and making us ideally positioned to provide advice and consultancy across many key areas of nursing and midwifery. Our teaching and learning strategies are founded in evidence and generated by our own researchers to reflect the changing needs of healthcare. Students are taught by leading academics, clinicians and researchers who are working in the cutting edge of nursing knowledge. The exceptional quality of the programs means graduates stand out from the crowd. Locally knowledgeable and globally aware, our graduates engender commitment and passion for nursing.
The University is seeking to employ Associate Lecturer - Clinical Education (several roles). You will be a talented educator with a passion for, and demonstrated excellence in, pedagogical practice and design. Clinical educators are a subset of specialist educators with demonstrated excellence and experience in clinical practice in a health profession, and in clinical education in a health setting. The incumbent will be based within The Susan Wakil School of Nursing and Midwifery located on the Camperdown campus and may be required to teach within the Westmead campus.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Contribute to the clinical teaching and learning conducted by Sydney Nursing School in simulated and clinical settings
- undertake teaching and coaching of students in clinical nursing, area of expertise or related area (primarily in pre-registration programs) within simulated and/or clinical settings
- develop teaching and subject materials, specifically in high, medium and low fidelity simulation, under the supervision of more senior academic staff within the school
- provide support and clinical education to students during their work-integrated learning experiences, ensuring each student has the opportunity to meet their clinical learning objectives during their placement
- conduct student clinical performance assessments in simulated and clinical settings
- provide mentoring and guidance to students, with a focus on role-modelling effective patient interaction and care
- develop assessment materials that align with best practice under the supervision of more senior academic staff within the school.
- Pre-registration nursing degree with at least 5 years clinical nursing experience
- advanced Learning Masters Level qualification in nursing or health related field or in education
- hold current registered nurse registration with AHPRA without any conditions/restrictions placed on registration
- extensive experience working as a registered nurse within a relevant specialist clinical setting
- experience in clinical teaching and learning, as evidenced by participation in student coaching and skills development, clinical supervision, peer-assisted teaching and learning, or similar
- developing knowledge and understanding of contemporary clinical teaching practices and effective curriculum design
- experience in developing and implementing high, medium and low fidelity clinical simulation in preregistration nursing programs.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
As this position is located on an NSW Health site, it is a regulatory requirement to complete compulsory employment checks prior to starting in this position. For more information and instructions, please visit:NSW Health employment requirements
This position is designated as involving child-related work. To undertake or remain in this position, you are required to apply for and obtain a Working with Children Check clearance in accordance with the Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Please note these positions may be filled prior to the closing date of the advertisement, please apply at your earliest convenience.
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Cecilia Blamey, Recruitment Operations, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Wednesday 14 December 2022 11:59 PM