OMICS Research Scientist (KTP Associate, Waters)
Salary: £31,500 to £33,500 per annum
Post Type: Full Time
Closing Date: 23.59 hours GMT on Wednesday 11 January 2023
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and forward-thinking PhD graduate who has the ability and confidence to transfer and embed academic knowledge into industry. A person with experience in the fields of Personalised Medicine, Biomarker Discovery, and/or multi'omic Data Informatics.
The University of Surrey and Micromass UK Limited are jointly recruiting a recent PhD graduate to lead a 33-month Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) project. The aim of this partnership is to apply and validate a new OMICS workflow combined with mass spectrometry (MS) imaging to greatly improve the understanding of disease processes in prostate cancer. It is hoped that this new workflow will drastically improve disease diagnosis and patient treatments and will be readily accessible to both scientists and clinicians.
This KTP can kick-start your career in industry and make you an authority in this area. Apply your academic knowledge and technical expertise in a real-world context to bring a new medical imaging technology to market. Develop your understanding of the characteristics of existing technology, using this as a benchmark when validating new technology for Waters.
The Business Partner
Micromass UK (also known as Waters) is part of the Waters Corporation. It is the world's leading specialty measurement company focused on the application of high-resolution analytical technologies to support its vision of developing innovative solutions aimed at improving human health and longevity.
The successful candidate will be based at Micromass headquarters in Wilmslow, Cheshire. They will work directly with their University and Company supervisors but have the confidence to manage and take full ownership of this KTP project.
- Recent PhD in Biochemistry, Chemistry, or Immunology
- Experience of technical documentation, reporting and presentations
- High competency level of spoken and written English (i.e. speaking, listening, reading, writing skills)
- Experience in multi’omic and high dimension / bioinformatic datasets
- Conversant with Mass-spectrometry technology/MS imaging
- Previous industrial work experience including placement and/or experience of project management
- Experience in laboratory set-up, synthesis, and engineering design approaches
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate and work with a diverse range of people
- Ability to focus on the strategic issues without getting lost in the detail, and to express technical jargon in layman’s terms
- Enthusiasm for the scientific process, embracing new ideas and concepts whilst bridging the gap between academia and industry, preserving the interests of both
- Demonstrably pragmatic, efficient, creative, highly proactive and motivated to embed new knowledge into the company.
- A clear understanding of both the KTP Programme and this KTP Business Partner.
This position is offered on a 33-month, fixed-term contract. Receive business-based training and career development, including a diverse range of non-technical skills, such as project management and leadership.
Benefits to expect from Micromass UK Ltd
- 25 days leave per annum plus public holidays
- Potential to secure a permanent job at the end of the KTP
Benefits to expect from the University of Surrey
- Generous pension, Childcare Assistance, cycle-to-work scheme, season ticket loans
- Access to a wide range of courses under the Learning & Development Programme; library access
Benefits to expect from the KTP Programme
- Dedicated training budget and time ringfenced for personal development; opportunity to gain professional qualifications and an accelerated route to Chartered Engineer/Scientist status
- Access to academic support and the University’s facilities to help deliver the KTP project
Informal enquiries can be made to Dan Bance, email: email@example.com. Please note that applications sent directly to this email address cannot be accepted.
e reserve the right to close this advertisement early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications. So please do not wait to apply.
Please be aware that, as part of the KTP Programme, your application will be viewed by members of the host organisation, the Business Partner. By submitting your application, you are giving consent to share your personal details with the company partner outlined above.
Further details: Job Description