Lecturer in Career Guidance
- UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST OF SCOTLAND
- Paisley, Renfrewshire (GB)
- AC3: £ 46,047 to £ 51, 805 / AC4: £ 53,353 to £ 61,823
- 29 Nov 2022
- End of advertisement period
- 05 Dec 2022
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Education
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
School of Education & Social Sciences
Lecturer in Career Guidance – REQ001904
AC3: £ 46,047 to £ 51, 805 / AC4: £ 53,353 to £ 61,823
Full-time, fixed term up to one year
THE POST –Lecturer in Career Guidance
The Division of Social Sciences within the School of Education and Social Sciences seeks an experienced academic for the role of Lecturer in MSc Career Guidance and Development and associated programmes. The role will include Programme Leader duties, for which an additional annual payment will be made in addition to salary.
You will have experience of leading teaching and learning at postgraduate level in the field of career guidance and development and have credibility within the national context within the field/
Applications are particularly welcome from individuals who are underrepresented within the career guidance and development sector.
Your management of teaching and learning will have an inclusive curriculum development approach that demonstrates equality as well as sharing of good practice. You will be able to demonstrate experience in successfully managing a programme of study and exhibit heightened skills in effective planning, organising and problem solving with excellent liaison, networking, influencing and communication skills.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- Masters qualification in a relevant subject/discipline
- Postgraduate Diploma in Career Guidance and Development or equivalent plus the Career Development Institute Qualification in Career Development (or equivalent predecessor award)
- Higher Education Fellowship, Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice or equivalent
- External professional standing with a relevant professional body
- Experience of designing and delivering continuing professional development activities
- Practical experience of working as a careers adviser or in a similar role
- Experience of learning, teaching and assessment within Higher Education at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- An active research profile and evidence of external engagement
- Commitment to delivering high quality teaching and supporting an outstanding student experience.
The post will be based at the Paisley Campus although travel across the other four campus locations in Scotland and the UK is expected.
We welcome candidates with experience in leadership, development, and coordination of programmes, having experience in supporting, managing and advising colleagues and students in Higher Education. The School of Education and Social Sciences is a multi-discipline School and the successful candidate will be engaged in cross/interdisciplinary working and programme design and development to support positive results in attainment, student experience and graduate destinations, particularly in relation to postgraduate professional development. They will possess capabilities in team leadership and collaborative working, strategically engage with senior leadership and university objectives, and will be committed to high professional standards in all areas of responsibility.
UWS was named Higher Educational Institution of the Year in The Herald Higher Education Awards 2022 and is officially ranked by Times Higher Education in the top 600 universities worldwide (2022 World University Rankings) as well as in the top 150 universities worldwide under 50 years old (2022 Young University Rankings). University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries and businesses.
With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to experience the joy of learning, teaching, research and innovation, and apply their knowledge for the benefit of others.
The School of Education & Social Sciences at UWS combines sector-leading education provision with strong expertise in social science teaching and research in the west of Scotland and beyond. You will join a supportive and committed team, playing a crucial role in the School’s commitment to social justice and making a difference locally, nationally and internationally. Our students benefit from innovative, practice-focused and research-informed courses, and deep-rooted partnerships with leading organisations across the world. Find out more about our School of Education & Social Sciences.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package which includes:
- 35 days of annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
- 23% employer’s pension contribution, including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
- A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
- Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities across our campuses
- Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Professional, career and research development opportunities.
Further information, including details of how to apply are available at https://jobs.uws.ac.uk/
Closing Date: Monday 5th December 2022
Interview Date: w/c 12th December 2022
The University reserves the right to shorten/extend the closing date of any position where a high/low volume of suitable applications are received. Therefore, if you are interested in this role, an early application would be encouraged.
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.